“I love interval training and sprinting up stairs,” she says. RELATED: Beyond beauty: How Alana Blanchard turns popularity into positivity. Core strength is key too. Blanchard knows weight training is essential to building muscle mass and strength, but she prefers using 10- to 20-pound weights to add subtle definition to her arms, core and legs. Being a world-class surfer requires a fit physique, but Blanchard mixes up her workouts out of the water. A Trainer Explains Why You Shouldn't Try to Make Up For It, These Sustainable HOKA ONE ONE Hiking Boots Are My Go-To For Slippery Winter Walks, The Peloton Instructors Share Their Beyoncé Series Outfits — Get Ready to Fall Crazy in Love, 3 Yoga Drills to Help With That Tricky Transition From Downward Dog to Lunge. In season 2, episode 5 of Alana: Surfer Girl on Network A, Alana was preparing for the Women's World Tour. The Inertia . Wanting to improve at surfing? Photo: Courtesy of Ripcurl.com Blanchard is a fan of high-intensity workouts over other forms of cardio to get her heart rate up. The 20-minute workout, which you can check out above, includes tons of fast-paced and dynamic movements, like high knees, burpees, and side skaters, with Blanchard offering lower-impact modifications for each move. It basically means don't eat any meat product until dinner. Alana Blanchard's Top Ab and Glute Moves Core strength is key too. Blanchard is her own worst critic, but she knows the importance of taking it easy on herself. You can also follow the "Vegan Until 5 p.m." plan. Follow Alana's surf training regimen! Blanchard is an advocate of the old adage that “abs are made in the gym, but shown in the kitchen,” opting for clean snacks like green smoothies. Alana Blanchard has always been a female figure that I and many other women my age have looked up to. Photo: Courtesy of Ripcurl.com Constant travel could easily knock her workout routine off the tracks, so Blanchard plans ahead by always packing a jump rope and resistance band so she has no excuses not to break a sweat. Alana Blanchard was surfing with her best friend Bethany Hamilton when, on October 31, 2003, a tiger shark attacked, ripped off Bethany's left arm and nearly killed her; 19. Directions: Follow the warmup in the video above. We caught up with the gorgeous contender to find out more about her healthy attitude, her workout tips and the secrets of her buzzed-out bod. 39. Photo: Courtesy of Ripcurl.com, Stock Up For The Future With These Black Friday Face Masks Deals, Pick Up Some Of The Best Black Friday Deals For Cooling Sleep Items, Check Out Some Of The Best Black Friday Sports Deals, Flash Sale: Save Up To 56% On The Ativafit Under Desk Elliptical Bike, People Say This Thermogenic Fat Burner Is Like OTC Adderall, 5 Best Face Masks for Working Out On Amazon Right Now, This Bodyweight Routine Is the Perfect Partner Workout, Blast Your Arms With These 5 Isolated Tricep Workouts, We may use your e-mail address to send you the newsletter and offers that may interest you, on behalf of Men's Journal and its partners. Wanting to improve at surfing? Blanchard has spent six years on the World Surf League Championship Tour, returning last year after giving birth to her first son, and her workout wasted no time in taking things to the next level. Alana Blanchard’s Full Body Workout Will Make You Sweat Just by Watching It Saturday February 16, 2019 . You can just have some vegan meals whenever you feel like it, as I mentioned in my How to Look like Alana Blanchard (Pt. I guess it’s just finding that balance between striving hard and enjoying it along the way.”, Celebrate the history of street skiing with Cam Riley, ‘Trivia Lift’ is ‘Cash Cab’ of ski resorts, Impressive goals for Panamanian wellness retreat Kalu Yala. Photo: Courtesy of Ripcurl.com Now about that bottom: Blanchard’s secret weapon isn’t that secret. In 2005, Blanchard won the inaugural T&C Surf Women's Pipeline Championship; Sign up for our newsletter to get the latest adventures, workouts, destinations, and more. “I think having a strong core is a huge part of surfing,” Blanchard said, noting that surfing is a ab workout in and of itself. If any sport demands above-and-beyond levels of fitness, it's got to be surfing; you're constantly paddling, adjusting to the water, reading and racing the waves, and generally doing all you can not to wipe out. That's why we knew we had to tune in when pro surfer Alana Blanchard shared her daily glute and HIIT workout on YouTube. Alana Blanchard’s Top Ab and Glute Moves. 2 days ago, by Mekishana Pierre The 50-second on, 10-second off structure is definitely a challenge, and the fact that Blanchard repeats the workout two to three times through (along with glute activation moves at the start and a plank series for a finisher) has us seriously impressed. When she is not surfing, Alana likes to workout to stay fit, and she always includes swimming, riding her bike, sprinting up stairs, interval training, squats and lunges in her daily exercising program; 40. Cool down afterwards with full-body stretches. Core strength is key too. By signing up, I agree to the Terms & to receive emails from POPSUGAR. “I actually am activating my core pretty much the whole time, even when I’m paddling.” Alana Blanchard has over 4.1 million combined social media followers; "I think having a strong core is a huge part of surfing," Blanchard said, noting that surfing is a ab workout in and of itself. Into a Desk, This HIIT Indoor Cycling Workout Feels Like a 30-Minute Island Escape (and It's Just as Sweaty), Missed a Couple Workouts? 3 days ago. Pro surfer Alana Blanchard’s out-of-the-water workout tips, Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Alana Blanchard. Alana Blanchard. Distributor of Ideas. Equipment Needed: Light weights (two-to-three pounds) or home substitutions like water bottles or cans of food. Alana Blanchard is a healthy person. "I just wanted to show you guys what I do when I want to push myself and really get a sweat on," she explained, and the fact that we're sweating just watching means it's got to be effective!