I was planning to create an executable JAR from a project, and was a bit surprised that this seems to be a problem in IntelliJ IDEA (I am using version 9.0.1). In Eclipse, you can "Export" your project with dependencies, and recieve an executable JAR, which allows the user to … Automatically created build artifact: Open File/Project structure; Create new artifact, JAR, from modules with dependencies: Click green plus button near top of window. How to build jars from IntelliJ properly?, from Add drop down menu. Create executable jar file intellij idea. Select "From modules with dependencies" How to create a .jar using IntelliJ IDEA 14.1.5: File > Save All. The version of java used in the article was 1.8. Build will save everything to the output folder. File > Project Structure. In my case, it was because IntelliJ was extracting all the dependencies into the output jar, which ended up overwriting the /META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file with something from one of my included dependencies.. To make sure that the JAR artifact is created correctly, you can run it. To run a Java application packaged in a JAR, IntelliJ IDEA allows you to create a dedicated run configuration. use a shell, go to the project root directory (where the pom.xml file is) and type. Use Find Action Ctrl+Shift+A to search for actions and settings across the entire IDE. Create a run configuration for the packaged application. Opening up your comand line, let's start with creation of a simple project folder: executable-one. The goal of this first part is to create an executable JAR file. Select Tab "Artifacts". I had to open up the jar and copy in the real MANIFEST.MF from the location indicated in the "Manifest File" property that is automatically set in that artifacts page under Project Structure". Let's call it ExecutableOne.jar. To create executable JAR we need to create new artifact and build it. Run driver or class with main method. A typical Spring boot project is a Maven project or a Gradle-Project (I only know how to do it with Maven, for Gradle see [luboskrnacs answer][1]).So you just need to run the maven targetpackageand pick the jar form the (created)target` folder. mvn clean package cd target