He was a tall man, thirty-six, born of English-German stock, his features undistinguished except for the long, determined mouth and the bright blue of his eyes, which moved now over the charred ruins of the houses on each side of his. It seems to run counter to traditional vampire themes of the time, and still seems like a very fresh idea today. It helped to fill the terrible void of hours. I Am Legend is a 1954 post-apocalyptic horror novel by American writer Richard Matheson that was influential in the modern development of zombie and vampire literature and in popularizing the concept of a worldwide apocalypse due to disease. He is not a doctor or a scientist, just a regular man stuck in an irregular situatio. After the 'plague' finished in 1975, Robert Neville seems to be the only human left immune and alive. When it got too oppressive, he snapped on the air-conditioning unit and suction drew away the worst of it. Then he cut each pink, leathery clove in half, exposing the fleshy center buds. Please try your request again later. On those cloudy days, Robert Neville was never sure when sunset came, and sometimes they were in the streets before he could get back. Robert Nevile is the last human in town, maybe on earth. Yet he never seemed to get ahead. But how could he find it when they never gave him a chance to slow down and think? Richard Matheson's I Am Legend (Richard Matheson: Collected Stories) How events turn out in the end surprised me. All others are infected and turned into vampires. Matheson’s futuristic portrait of Los Angeles as a dangerous, vampire-ridden wasteland could reflect his impressions of Los Angeles in the 1950s, when there were numerous fires and the city experienced a … At the table he sliced himself two pieces of bread and poured himself a glass of tomato juice. It's well worth reading. He picked out two lamb chops, string beans, and a small box of orange sherbet. Ben Cortman, colleague and neighbour who reminds him on Oliver Hardy (the comedian) shouts every evening he should come out. As he lathed, he listened to records over the loudspeaker he’d set up in the bedroom—Beethoven’s Third, Seventh, and Ninth symphonies. He’d have to get out that damned manual again and check the wiring. Easy classic to read - def recommend, I’m not much of what you might call a “vampire guy.” By which I mean both that I am not a vampire, or a guy who likes vampires or vampire-themed endeavors. Four fifths of the way through and the only thing on my mind was how incredibly boring and one-dimensional Robert Neville is. These he held against the whirling emery stone until they were as sharp as daggers. To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number. He boards up his house, stocks up on canned goods, and researches a way to combat this disease. World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, Richard Matheson's I Am Legend (Graphic Novel). Ich bin Legende, auch Ich, der letzte Mensch (original I Am Legend), ist ein 1954 erschienener Science-Fiction-Roman des amerikanischen Schriftstellers Richard Matheson. First, he separated the bulbs into the small, sickle-shaped cloves. A new terror born in death, a new superstition entering, ["Full circle. A man could get used to anything if he had to. Robert Neville is in a battle against the world, or so it seems to him. I am legend.”, The Most Popular Book-to-Scream Adaptations. Robert Neville is the last uninfected man still alive. In some of the reviews that I previously read, they mention how the book is nothing like the movie. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. At some time a woman who calls herself Ruth, enters his dreadful life. He then entered the military and spent World War II as an infantry soldier.