Became the 13th player in CAA history to be named to All-CAA First Team three or more times. Attacks the basket and gets to the free throw line. "The pick doesn't really matter so much to me. Recorded a season-high 36 points vs. James Madison, making 6-of-7 three-pointers (Jan. 30). The Charlotte Hornets picked Duke’s Vernon Carey Jr. with the 32nd pick in Wednesday’s NBA draft, and later in the second round selected Grant Riller from College of Charleston 56th. Omari Spellman. "He’s always had the natural ability to score. Hunting rebounds to create opportunities to push the ball, he makes a bigger impact on the glass than most guards. “I’m a guy who can score on all three levels, can create for himself, create for others, likes to play off the pick-and-roll and is super comfortable playing off ball with other talented guards,” said Riller. © 2020 Forbes Media LLC. Grant Lucas Riller (born February 8, 1997) is an American professional basketball player for the Charlotte Hornets of the National Basketball Association (NBA). One of the guards he has looked at is C.J. Riller’s crafty ability to score — particularly around the rim — has helped him become a projected early-second round pick. Explosive athlete with a quick first step. He played college basketball for the College of Charleston Cougars. Fantasy News & NBA Updates. "A floater is something that every guard's supposed to have.". Combo guard with an impressive offensive arsenal. I have conducted 1 on 1 interviews with players such as Chris Paul and D'Angelo Russell and host. I cover the NBA from an inside perspective. Definitely, I feel like I can be efficient, regardless.". He’s gone to another level with his playmaking. "I knew over the course of four years if I did my part and did what I had to do that maybe my dreams could be a reality," Riller told me. Riller then attended the College of Charleston from 2015 to 2020. As a combo guard, he has no preference for playing point guard or shooting guard. Tomorrow night he will be watching the draft at his parent's house in Orlando, Florida, and managing his five-year plan to make the NBA complete. FanSided , 7d. After such an outstanding season, he earned his third First Team All-CAA selection. Nearly every projection has Riller getting drafted, and some think he could go as high as early second round or late first round. Was second in the CAA and 11th in the nation in scoring (21.9 ppg). "Coming into college, going to a mid-major, I was able to kind of be real with myself. Grant Riller was a senior from the College of Charleston and scrapped his way into this year’s NBA Draft picked up by the Charlotte Hornets. Breaking out as a sophomore to capture the first of three consecutive All-Colonial 1st Team honors, Riller scored nearly 2,500 points in his career. Grant Riller isn’t sure how he'll react Wednesday night if his name is announced during the NBA draft. Charleston defeated East Carolina 53 - 35. ", - Former Charleston assistant coach and current Presbyterian head coach Quinton Ferrell. Source: Jonathan Givony on Twitter. Riller’s crafty ability to score — particularly around the rim — has helped him become a projected early-second round pick. Scoring from all three levels off the dribble, taking smaller guards in the post, pushing the ball aggressively in transition, and showing some vision and talent as a passer, he made things happen steadily on the offensive end playing both on and off the ball. Coming out of high school Grant Riller only had mid-major and low-major scholarship offers. Second-leading scorer in school history (2,474 points), behind Andrew Goudelock (2,571). "I feel like I can match up with any guard in the draft," he said. As a 23-year-old coming from a mid-major school, there is not the allure that most NBA teams look for in a one and done prospect. Riller played basketball for Ocoee High School in Ocoee, Florida under head coach Rob Gordon. I have conducted 1 on 1 interviews with players such as Chris Paul and D'Angelo Russell and host my own podcast called Court Vision with NBA All-Star Jameer Nelson. Draft Home | Draft Board | Teams | Prospects. A preseason knee injury forced Riller to miss his true freshman season. But his ability to read the game, his playmaking, his ability to pick his spots. I covered the NBA for the last two seasons, and started while in college. Finished sixth in the nation with 177 free throws made. Showing good anticipation drawing charges and getting in the passing lanes in spurts, Riller was more of a contributor defensively some games than others. 3 career scorer with 2,474 points, behind David Robinson of Navy and Charles Jenkins of Hofstra. Point guard Grant Riller has intrigued multiple teams as a prospect with high upside ahead of the 2020 NBA draft, a source told Hoops Rumors.. Riller’s crafty ability to score — particularly around the rim — … In a couple of years from now, not too many people will remember the order of the picks.". PF, New York Knicks. You may opt-out by. Basketball game between the East Carolina Pirates and the Charleston Cougars on December 15, 2016 at Williams Area at Minges Coliseum in Greenville, NC. I'm more so on just trying to go to the right fit. (Photo by Greg Thompson/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images). "I was playing for a coach that really put a lot of trust in his guards and holds them to a high standard," he said. Going that route is a long shot to making the NBA, but here Riller is five years later, one day away from being an NBA Draft pick. I knew I wouldn't be a one and done or a two years and done kind of guy. Grant Riller is a skilled shot maker who ranked among the most productive small conference scorers in the country over his last three years at Charleston. Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own. Grant Riller profile page, biographical information, injury history and news GREENVILLE, NC - DECEMBER 15: Charleston Cougars guard Grant Riller (1) sits on the bench in a NCAA ... [+] Basketball game between the East Carolina Pirates and the Charleston Cougars on December 15, 2016 at Williams Area at Minges Coliseum in Greenville, NC. "At the next level with different personnel and just a different game, you kind of need an in-between game," he said. However, Riller is confident in his ability against the rest of his draft class. Riller, a 6-foot-3 guard who was one of last season’s top NCAA scorers for College of Charleston, was the No. He allowed. Riller and fellow draft pick Aaron Nesmith of Porter-Gaud, who went No. Coming out of high school Grant Riller only had mid-major and low-major scholarship offers. Heading into school, Riller was a two-star high-school recruit and unranked by a majority of national scouting services. November 19, 2020, 12:06 am . CAA’s No. "I think my mindset was my biggest thing that helped me," he said. Carey … All Rights Reserved, This is a BETA experience. Averaging 21.9 points, 5.3 rebounds, and 3.9 assists in his final season under Head Coach Earl Grant, the Florida native had several impressive offensive performances against defenses loading up to contain him. Riller's going to face a steep ramp up in terms of competition but he could be a back-end contributor relatively quickly. Standing 6-foot-3 with a developed 190-pound frame, Riller has decent size for a scoring guard and is a solid all-around athlete with a good first step that can play above the rim with a head of steam. "I feel comfortable at whatever one I'm asked to play," he said. Riller is a two-time Colonial Athletic Association Player and was apart of the historic Cougar team that made it to the NCAA March Madness Tournament. Riller was quite productive during his final two seasons and can turn out to be a “needle in a haystack” from the second round. 14 to the Boston Celtics in the first round, face a compressed timeline as they prepare for the 2020-21 season. College of Charleston’s record holder in its NCAA Division I era for points in a single game (43). A lightly regarded recruit following his senior year as Ocoee High School, he redshirted his first season in college before emerging as a starter as a second-year freshman averaging 13.1 points and 2.1 rebounds per game. Ranked fourth in the conference in assists (3.9 apg) and 19th in rebounding (5.1 rpg). Riller, who is 6-foot-3, averaged 21.9 points in each of his last two seasons and shot 34.4% on 3-pointers. Charlotte Hornets College Player Grant Riller. Over the off-time, he has been training in Los Angeles and emphasizing working on his floater.