Australian pop singer who quickly went from busking on the streets to platinum singles. "Can't Be Happy All the Time" did not enter the NZ Top 40 Singles Chart, but peaked at number 27 on the NZ Hot Singles Chart. www.tonesandi.com. In 2018, fed up with her retail job, she began busking in Melbourne and sometimes took special trips to the beachside town of Byron Bay to play songs for passing crowds. .mw-parser-output .awards-table td:last-child{text-align:center}, The APRA Music Awards are held in Australia and New Zealand by the Australasian Performing Right Association to recognise songwriting skills, sales and airplay performance by its members annually. [21] She recalled the track was "Written alone in a dark closet in not much more than 30 minutes. "[7] The singer-songwriter had learned to play keyboards and drum pads while at secondary school. "[54] The singer's next single, "Fly Away", appeared in mid-November, with its first live performance to occur on 24 November during her show at the Newcastle Civic Theatre. [46][47] Also in that month the artist appeared on the cover of Rolling Stone (Australia) and was interviewed by its managing editor, Poppy Reid. She released her debut single, "Johnny Run Away", on 1 Mairch 2019 and it's Musti's favorite. [35][36] In January 2020, three of the EP's tracks were listed on the Triple J Hottest 100, 2019: "Dance Monkey" (No. [103] [15] It peaked at number 12 on the ARIA Singles Chart and achieved triple platinum status for shipments of over 210,000 units. It will be my first ever album, so I really want to make sure I'm proud of it. [3] Tones was the vocalist for a duo in 2014,[3] and remembered: "I started out singing in small pubs and bars in Mornington, I was singing along to a guitarist until I ended up branching out on my own. [23][24][25], "Dance Monkey"'s music video was directed by Liam Kelly and Nick Kozakis. Australian pop singer Tones and I had immediate success when she began issuing singles of her danceable, haunting but still upbeat sound. [3][4][8], In 2009, as Toni Watson, she created a YouTube page and posted a cappella cover versions of songs. Toni Watson, known professionally as Tones and I, is an Australian singer and songwriter. "Fly Away" did not enter the NZ Top 40 Singles Chart, but peaked at number six on the NZ Hot Singles Chart. [30], In May 2019, Tones performed at the Big Pineapple Music Festival, as well as opening Splendour in the Grass 2019 as the Triple J Unearthed Splendour in the Grass competition winner,[31] where she broke the record for the biggest crowd of an opening set. Read Full Biography. The awards commenced in 2016. 26). [55], The Australian Independent Record Awards (commonly known informally as AIR Awards) is an annual awards night to recognise, promote and celebrate the success of Australia's Independent Music sector. [52][53] The performances were fund raisers for the Equal Justice Initiative and were streamed live on various media channels. The artist spent 2018 living between Walkden-Brown's home in the Gold Coast hinterland and in her van in Byron Bay, writing music and busking full-time. I never lied about it. Tones and I was born Toni Watson in Mornington Peninsula. Tones was the most awarded artist at the ARIA Music Awards of 2019, winning four from eight nominations. [19][20], On 10 May 2019, Tones and I released her second single, "Dance Monkey". [51] Tones and I co-headlined a virtual concert, with Gary Clark Jr., on 5 and 6 September 2020. [38][39] Riff Magazine's Rachel Goodman caught her performance in San Francisco in mid-month, "[she] brought a palpable energy to the stage, which concertgoers enthusiastically reciprocated... [and] spoke about busking every day on the streets of Byron Bay in Australia and how she learned to communicate with audiences—and quickly capture people's attention. About See All. [28] On 8 February 2020, it equalled Post Malone's "Rockstar" for the most days at number one on the same chart. Tones and I (* 13. [26] In Australia, in November of that year, she broke the record for the most weeks atop the ARIA Singles Chart by any artist, with 16 weeks. [7][10] At an early performance, she met Jackson Walkden-Brown who became her manager about a month later. "—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory. [106][107], The ARIA Music Awards is an annual awards ceremony that recognises excellence, innovation, and achievement across all genres of Australian music. [7][12], In February 2019, Tones and I signed to Bad Batch Records/Sony Music Australia alongside a co-management deal with Artists Only (owned by Walkden-Brown, ex-Aerials) and Lemon Tree Music (co-owned by Regan Lethbridge and David Morgan, both ex-Bonjah). ", "AND THE WINNERS OF THE 2019 NATIONAL LIVE MUSIC AWARDS ARE…", "Conoce a todos los nominados a los Spotify Awards 2020", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Tones_and_I&oldid=990872629, Short description is different from Wikidata, All Wikipedia articles written in Australian English, Official website different in Wikidata and Wikipedia, Wikipedia articles with MusicBrainz identifiers, Wikipedia articles with WorldCat-VIAF identifiers, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License. The Australian ceremonies began in 1982. [50][51] After 2 September the finalists were voted for by the public, from the 20 artists previously show-cased. Toni Watson grew up in Mount Martha on the Mornington Peninsula to the south of Melbourne, in the Australian state of Victoria. By mid-January 2020, "Dance Monkey" had spent its 24th and final week at number one, beating Bing Crosby's all-time Australian record for his version of "White Christmas", which spent 22 weeks (five months, namely June to October) at the top spot in 1943. [7] She started busking in Melbourne, while working in fashion retail at the Universal Store. "Can't Be Happy All the Time" did not enter the Australian Top 50 singles but did peak at number 19 on the Australian Digital Tracks chart. Musician/Band. While "Ur So F**king Cool" did not enter the Swedish Singles Chart, it peaked at number three on the Swedish Heatseeker Chart. Breakthrough Independent Artist of the Year, Most Performed Australian Work of the Year, Liam Kelly & Nick Kozakis for Tones and I – "Dance Monkey", This page was last edited on 27 November 2020, at 00:29. Toni (Tones) Watson (born 15 August 2000), kent perfaisionally as Tones and I, is an Australie sangster-sangwriter. References This page wis last eeditit on 31 Mey 2020, at 00:26. "[43], On 7 May 2020 Triple J premiered a new song, "We Can’t Wait to Go Back to a Festival When This Is Over", as part of a COVID-19 self-isolation musical challenge, Quarantune. [37], On 1 February 2020 she started her Kids Are Coming World Tour with five Laneway Festival dates in Australia and seven dates in North America. Her breakout single, "Dance Monkey", was released in May 2019 and reached number one in over 30 countries. Page Transparency See More. 4), "Never Seen the Rain" (No. ", "Dance Monkey How Australian Busker Tones and I Scored a Global Hit", "Tones and I releases new single 'Johnny Run Away', and it's going gangbusters", "Exclusive: Tones & I Signs Management Deal with Lemon Tree Music", "How Lemon Tree Music turn buskers into global superstars", "Tones and I Producer Has Dabbled with the Rubens on New Song", Australian Recording Industry Association, "First Spin: Tones and I backs up her breakout single with 'Dance Monkey, "ARIAs 2019: Who should and who will win Australia's top music prizes", "Tones and I Breaks Singles Chart Record", "These are the biggest moments from the ARIA Awards, from Tones and I to Agro the puppet", "Meet the team behind Tones and I's 'Dance Monkey' video", "Meet your Unearthed Splendour comp winners! "[12] Two weeks later, Tones and I officially released "Johnny Run Away". [5] She performed local gigs and festivals, including the Let Go festival. The inaugural ceremony occurred in 2006. [52][53] The artist also announced in September that her debut album is expected in 2 or 3 months, "I've taken the time to just really make sure it's what I want. "Dance Monkey" was accredited 13× platinum by ARIA for shipments of over 910,000 units, in October 2020. [8][13][14] In that month she uploaded her debut single, "Johnny Run Away", to an Australian website affiliated with Australian national youth radio station Triple J, called Unearthed, which publishes the music of unsigned artists. Community See All. "Bad Child" did not enter the NZ Top 40 Singles Chart, but peaked at number five on the NZ Hot Singles Chart. She signed a deal with Sony-affiliated Bad Batch records in 2019. [7][10][11] Her busking success led to a greater commitment to a music career.