As an Amazon Associate, we earn revenue from qualifying purchases. Though it was considered wild at the time, it’s fairly tame now. Below is our list of the Top 100 most clicked-on songs within the past 24 hours. Indeed, there are dozens of versions of this song, but Wilson Pickett's hit take on this classic is by far the most manic. You see, these trends cycle every thirty years or so. Some of these songs are good. Why that’s easy; it’s our favorite songs from the 1950s and 1960s. Ain’t No Mountain High Enough –Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell. Critics' Picks: Top Songs of the '70s. The king of the Sixties dance crazes - the king of all dance crazes - Checker first rose to the throne with this version of a Hank Ballard hit. "Harlem Shuffle," Bob and Earl. Chubby may have smoothed out the rough edges a bit, but he also added an infectious cheer that made this an instant smash. Listen to our oldies wedding songs playlist on Spotify. So without further ado, here is the list of top 10 great oldies songs of all time. Once Upon a Time in '69. You can find many different music types such as R&B, Rock and Roll, Beach, Country, and more. Do you have a favorite oldies song, not on our list? Chubby's only huge non-Twist hit set off a minor craze of its own in 1961, largely due to the party atmosphere leaking from its grooves. And, when we say old, we mean those who grew up in the 1950s or 1980s (when it was a revival). Your email address will not be published. Last Updated: November 16, 2020. Required fields are marked *. Here's a list of the top 10 best oldies dance songs of all time. And that, despite that novelty status, many of these songs had a very long shelf life indeed? Rank Song Title Song Artist Year Genre; Top songs of the 1950's is updated by the minute by Gigbuilder - The world's most popular Event Management System. Oldies But Goodies: Songs That Guests of All Ages Will Love from DJ Dos As much as I love hearing (and playing) the hottest tracks of today, there’s a timeless element to the classic songs that came out in the 1950s & ’60s that a lot of modern music lacks. This act's white-soul credentials are without peer: they later mutated into the Young Rascals. These oldies songs are listed in popularity according to the number of downloads on Amazon. 25. But think “American Graffiti,” “Happy Days,” and “Grease.” And don’t forget the choreographed boy bands (the original ones before Menudo and K-Pop). By using LiveAbout, you accept our, Dance to the Oldies With These Shag Music Hits, The Greatest Old School Wedding Songs, Part 2, Kings of the Rock Instrumental: The Ventures, "Peppermint Twist," Joey Dee and the Starliters. It's been covered by the Stones, but the original is still one of the finest line-dance soundtracks available: dirty, dark, and seductive. All But Forgotten Oldies Top 100. The Dovells had enough groove to take this one to the Top Ten on the R&B chart, as well, even with that strange phrase about being "sharp as a pistol.". It has a stronger melody than most of its contemporaries, mainly due to its Brill Building pedigree. Here are the top 25 ’80s songs. Great Oldies to enjoy before (and after!) I liked them all. Mack the Knife – Bobby Darin (1959) Robert Fontenot Jr. is an entertainment critic and journalist focusing on classic rock and roll and published nationally for more than 25 years. The one song on this list with ties to the long tradition of blues and blues-oriented dance crazes, this song was covered by many but is best-known in this 1960 version, which is treated with an almost audible smirk of hepness. So without further ado, here is the list of top 10 great oldies songs of all time. 10. ... Oldies Tailgate Party. Critics' Picks: Top Songs of the '60s. Although recorded in 1958, this classic was a genuine dance craze sensation years before the crazes really hit, inspiring a whole generation to line up and gently sway to this slow but terribly sexy groove. Oldies are traditionally the songs from the 1950s through the late 60s — rock and roll at its purist. kickoff. To the uninitiated, it sort of sounds like Gary "U.S." Bonds meets (surprise) Hank Ballard — fun, yet in an intense way, with a great call-and-response section. Critics' Picks: Top Songs of the '70s. Commentdocument.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "a19605bfdc8b564643a3cb933788fca5" );document.getElementById("b8ca145873").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); I agree to the terms and conditions laid out in the Privacy Policy, I agree to receive amazing song ideas. I have read and understood My Wedding Songs'. These Chicago DJ Pros KNOW the Fifties! 10. We will review the list again. FORTEPAN / Erky-Nagy Tibor/Wikimedia Commons/CC BY 3.0, You know about the Twist, the Mashed Potato, and the Limbo, maybe even the Pony, but did you know there were many different types of novelty dance songs during the dance craze heyday of the early 60s? Once Upon a Time in '69. Eva was a babysitter for legendary songwriting couple Carole King and Gerry Goffin; she did this dance around their house, inspiring them to write this smash hit. Critics' Picks: Top Songs of the '60s. Your email address will not be published. A rare doo-wop-inspired dance hit, this was the best of several attempts by this Philly group to strike dance craze gold (they'd also tried to resurrect the Continental, with some success). Top Songs of the 1950's Planning a Party? © 2003-2020 My Wedding Songs All Rights Reserved. To listen to a song clip, click on a song title. Thank you, Ellie, for the feedback. (Note: Hit songs for dances that didn't catch on are not included; e.g., Archie Bell and the Drells' "Tighten Up."). to Herbie Hancock we couple the good with the bad to locate the most delicious grooves of a decade. Most people can dance to swing and it sure gets the old folks moving. It went to #1 twice in two different years, setting a record that may never be broken. Michael Jackson – Thriller. We sift through the bad hair, shoulder pads, and jock sweat to bring you the 25 best ’80s songs to party to. “Blue Christmas” is a breakup song as is “The Sound of Silence.” But they would be good at a 1950’s themed party. “Rock with You” by Michael Jackson. What constitutes an oldies song can change with each decade. And getting loose is what it's all about. It's only fitting that one of the last big dance hits dealt with all the major moves, making this one a natural for any party band to learn. This list was not helpful. Oldies wedding song list curated by Matthew Campbell Amazon’s Top 10 Oldies Songs Brandy (You’re a Fine Girl) – Looking Glass Be My Baby – The Ronettes Love Train – The O’Jays Carrie-Anne – The Hollies (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher & Higher – Jackie Wilson Long Cool Woman (In a Black Dress) – The Hollies He Ain’t Heavy… LiveAbout uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. My Wedding Songs has song lists of the best 1950s, best 1960s, and best 1970s. ... Oldies Tailgate Party. Yet another entry in the seemingly endless string of Twist hits in the early Sixties, this one had a decidedly Gotham flavor, based as it was on the steps the kids were coming up with at New York's Peppermint Lounge. It's been covered by the Stones, but the original is still one of the … The new generations might not recognize or know all the songs that are on this list, but all of them are great songs that are worth to be listened over and over again. But most of them are about cheaters, breakups and broken hearts.