Mount Titlis. Enjoying the air on the Alp with the beautiful scenery. 4.19 miles away . I would only walk on the glacier with a qualified local guide. Although the Blueberry and sorbet very delicious. We drove over the Susten Pass and met our guide at the free parking in front of the Alpine Lodge Steingletscher. This includes your qualified guide and transport to the glacier from Interlaken. Then we roped back up and went to the most exciting part of the glacier with big crevasses as shown below. There’s a lot of waiting and lingering and slow walking. We stopped for lunch on the other side of the glacier with this amazing view. This company can arrange special tours just for your family, which I think would be a good idea since children may need more assistance or need to go slower than a bunch of adults. If it’s sunny, definitely bring sunglasses and a hat with a brim. Herzlich willkommen auf der Seite des Alpin Center Sustenpass! I was more nervous walking on the ice than I expected, but by the end, I was enjoying it and would do it again. Here’s the view back to the Susten Pass where you parked the car. There’s a lovely trail for normal hikers that leads up to the ice, which I’ve mapped below. Also bring water, your lunch and extra layers for warmth. It starts at the free parking near the Alpine Lodge, all the way up the tongue of the glacier and back. But they don’t publish their schedule online. But once we got to the ice, the guide asked me to pack it in my backpack, so it didn’t interfere with the other equipment. We cleaned our gear and helped pack it into the van. So it’s most practical to use your phone camera and have it easy to access in a front pocket, which is what I did. Since we live in Switzerland, we were flexible on our dates. What a special experience! You should wear normal hiking clothes and bring layers. Own or manage this property? Since the ice changes every day, an experienced local guide knows what to look for in terms of safety and risk on that specific glacier. There is a fee box at the entrance to the road, as shown below. We stored our crampons in our packs, which we would put on once we got to the glacier. We went with Swiss Alpine Guides and we were super happy with the experience. Required fields are marked *. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. I brought my GoPro, which was attached to my backpack strap and I used voice commands so I didn’t have to hold it in my hand. Serve Dinner and Evening meals too and you can stay for the night, but rooms are quite. You might already have these type of boots, but my hiking boots weren’t the right style so I used theirs. 162 reviews . Below are all the details so you know what to expect and can plan accordingly. Then up the hill on a narrow rocky trail. But once we got onto the ice, the wind picked up and it was quite cold. See Terms & Conditions. In Aug 2019, my husband and I did a guided glacier walk for beginners on the Steingletscher in the Berner Oberland Switzerland. After the crampons were on, we had to walk a bit on rocks to get the ice. You are taking all the provided information at your own risk. It also includes the special equipment: glacier hiking boots, crampons, harness, gloves, and ice ax. You need to follow the guide’s instructions and not fool around. It was fun having a little more freedom in our movement. Steingletscher 365 Alpin Center Sustenpass, Gadmen 3863 Switzerland. Since this was an anniversary celebration, we didn’t take the kids but I’d love to take them next time. I would love to do one of their overnight treks, like the one from the Jungfraujoch to the Konkordia hut. 3.82 miles away . But our guide was very helpful and patient and we all got onto the glacier with no problem. That was a little difficult with the crampons, because they don’t dig into the rock, just scrape on top of them. Our van parked at the Steingletscher parking at the trail head to the glacier. Then we got in the van with our guide and the rest of the hikers and drove a few minutes up a private road to the trail head.