Can / Be Able To Exercise. It tests what you learned on the can, could, be able to page. Menu. Be able to is often similar to can and we may use it instead of can to talk about ability. we should use be able to. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. But can only has present and past forms: can–could. • I can come and see you tomorrow if you like. • I'm afraid I can't come to the party on Friday. English exercise "Can/could/was able to" created by chrislondon with The test builder. Sometimes could is the past of can. ): • We can see the lake from our bedroom window. [ More lessons & exercises from chrislondon ] Click here to see the current stats of this English test Can, could, be able toWe use can to say that something is possible or that somebody has the ability to do something. We use can/could to describe ability, and we use can’t/couldn’t to describe absence of ability. are stative verbs and cannot be used in a continuous form. we should use be able to. Unterschiede zwischen can, could und be able to. Learn English > English lessons and exercises > English test #14361: Could and was able to > Other English exercises on the same topic: Modals [ Change theme ] > Similar tests: - Modal : may/might - Placement test 1 - Modal can (video) - Modal verb : must / have to - Modal : can/could - Must / Have to - Modal verbs - Modal verbs In negative sentences, both could and be able to can be used to say that we were not capable of doing something on a specific occasion. or ...we were able to persuade them, (but not 'could persuade'), • Jack was an excellent tennis player. 7When I was a child I used to couldcanbe able to stand on my head. (= he had the general ability to beat anybody) but, • Jack and Alf had a game of tennis yesterday. Complete the sentences with “could,” “was/were able to,” or “managed.” We worked until 7 p.m. and ________ finish the project. Can, could and be able to. Task No. 8Yesterday I lost my keys and I looked for them everywhere, but I wasn't able tocouldn'tcan't find them. when we ask somebody to do something. Verbs of perception (see, smell, hear, etc.) 5When he was 40, he cancouldwas able to speak six languages. We can use can and be able to to talk about general ability in the present. Instead, we use can. We use can + infinitive (can do / can see etc. (Be) able to... is possible instead of can, but can is more usual: • Are you able to speak any foreign languages? Can, Could and To Be Able To Exercise INFINITIVE PRESENT PAST PAST PARTICIPLE to be able to can Š could ­ had the ability to been able to ˚ She could play the violin when she was three Š was able to ­ ma naged to ˚ We were able to escape the fire Circle the correct answer. But if we want to say that someone did something in a specific situation, we must use was/were able to, or managed to + infinitive. • Alf played well but he couldn't beat Jack. Everyone thought we wouldn’t meet the deadline, but somehow we ________ to finish everything on time. We use canto: 1. talk about possibility and ability 2. make requests 3. ask for or give permission can, can’t – ability, possibility, permission, have to, must, should – obligation, prohibition, necessity, advice, Can, could, be able to – ability and possibility. 6After 6 hours climbing, we cancouldwere able to reach the top of the mountain. Can, could, be able to. Both “can” and “be able to” are used to express ability. Click here to see the current stats of this English test. I haven't concentrate recently at work. Alf played very well but in the end Jack managed to beat him. We also use can to talk about possibility. (= we were allowed to do...). 1Can you read this for me? but I haven't been able to sleep recently, (can has no present perfect), • Tom can come tomorrow, but Tom might be able to come tomorrow, (can has no infinitive). Home Page >> Grammar Exercises >> Intermediate >> Can / Be Able To Exercise Can and Be Able To Worksheet. Can / could - exercises May / might Must / have to Shall / should Will / would Mixed modals - exercises Had better Home Worksheets - handouts Video II: can / could / be able to The negative couldn't (could not) is possible in all situations: • We tried hard but we couldn't persuade them to come with us. can, could, be able to Quiz. They are able to do the job faster than anyone else. But if we are talking about what happened in a particular situation, we use was/were able to... or managed to... (Not could): • The fire spread through the building quickly but everybody was able to escape. I don't know what it is. (= he managed to beat him in this particular game). We could do what we wanted. At this time last year, Santiago couldn’t speak English. or ...was able to beat him. 2I've never couldcanbeen able to speak Spanish as well as my brother. By continuing you agree to our use of cookies. We used to have a company shuttle so we ________ take people from the parking lot to the building. Examples: When I first started my career, I could work long hours without a break. So sometimes it is necessary to use (be) able to.. • I can't sleep. Student; Teacher; Premium; Home. 10If you tell him your problem he might be able tocouldcan help you. 9Sally wasn't at home, but I was able tocancould contact her at her office. We use could especially with: See/ hear/ smell/ taste/ feel/ remember/ understand. • We were completely free. 3After 2 years in China, I cancould'm able to speak quite fluently now. Be able to is often similar to can and we may use it instead of can to talk about ability. 1. To talk about past abilities, we can use: could Used to talk about general skills or abilities in the past.