It’s because restaurants “velvet” the chicken (that’s the term that is used). Do you think this is necessary to keep them from being soggy and soft or is the fact that you only stir fry for 1-2 minutes the reason they don’t get soggy and soft ? I have broccoli and spring onion would either of those work? Real Chinese All Purpose Stir Fry Sauce (Charlie!). I was wondering if adding some prawns to this would work? Melt butter in heavy pan. Heat shortening in a large, deep skillet. No change to the recipe! If you’ve ever wondered why your stir fries aren’t quite as tasty as what you get from (good) Chinese restaurants, here are the two things you’ve probably been missing: Chinese cooking wine (or Shaoxing Wine) is the secret ingredient in almost every Chinese recipe that’s used by the gallon in Chinese restaurants around the world! I made a vegetable version that was delicious; omitted the pork added mushrooms bok choy and broccoli. This big furry head was just out of frame in every photo in this post….. of vegetable oil. I was a little nervous about using the shortening but it really needs to be a part of the recipe. !”, first timers exclaim. 1. Nagi your recipes are the best! This, like all of your recipes look amazing ! Then the veggies got super soggy. Hi Nagi. This is the fast and easy chop suey recipe that my mother always made, and we love it 'as is', but you could substitute a can of Chinese mixed vegetables for the bean sprouts if you like more color and texture. The only modification I made is that I threw in some water chestnuts. My chop suey came out a little too watery but it was delicious. But that’s a story for another time! Add choy sum leaves, bean sprouts and Sauce. Definitely four stars. Carnitas (Mexican Slow Cooker Pulled Pork). Now that's chop suey! I had it like soup. This is no exception, so simple yet full of flavour. So simple and yet so delicious – Healthy but super tasty. Very much like the chop suey you order in Chinese restaurants! Add garlic, stir quickly, then add onion, Cook for 1 minute, moving constantly, until onion is starting to wilt. Mix together and add to skillet mixture. Never in my whole life my dad told me I cook delicious, not until I made the Honey garlic chicken and this! Notify me via e-mail if anyone answers my comment. Next time I might even add scallops for a variation. Popular in the 1950s, … Rinse well, pat excess water with paper towels, set aside (see video). This is so nice, like my favourite Chinese (long gone sadly). I made 4 time the amount because the last time it was all gone in an hour. Why is it sooo watery? N x. Big winner in our house. I used a small amount of bok choy, snow peas and red capsicum. Read more about this – Velveting: Chinese Restaurant Way to Tenderise Chicken. I started with chopsuey about 9 mths ago & my cooking is almost all your recipes.Love them all. Same method Fernando! I made the recipe as written. I did use a can of chicken soup stock along with the water though, and added more ground pork. The Crossword Solver finds answers to American-style crosswords, British-style crosswords, general knowledge crosswords and cryptic crossword puzzles. and it’s pretty thick so it clings to your rice or noodles. Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates. N x. Hi Nagi, I can only get the tinned version of bean sprouts from my local shop, are these still good? Ps hope Dozer recovers well. Add garlic, stir quickly, then add onion, Cook for 1 minute, … I used mushrooms, pakchoi, carrot and brandspiritus. Yummy ! I used chicken broth instead of plain water and I also used frozen stir fry veggies in it as well as finely chopped garlic and added some crushed red pepper to my own plate. “SAINT NAGI” Stir occasionally. CHOP SUEY Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. In future, would you mind listing the songs in your vid description pretty please? N x. Nagi, I would like to have you canonised as the patron saint of food. If you’re making this as part of a larger banquet or you want to make a menu to serve 4+ people, try adding some of these other dishes to your menu: If you’re new to this Chop Suey recipe, be prepared to be amazed how similar it really is to Chinese takeout. if so, can it be tenderised the same way as the chicken? Nagi, everything I make has been sensational. Yes definitely! I'm revisiting the site today to print out another copy because mine has been used so much it gets a little crinkled more every time. Thanks again. It's delicious! Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. I like it better than I get in the restaurant even! Information is not currently available for this nutrient. – Nagi x. Hungry for more? I looked on here, and this is the same one! Stir fry for 1 to 2 minutes until the Sauce thickens to a thick syrup consistency. Hi again Nagi! I did chop some red bell pepper and saute also with the vegetables. Add: Thicken to suit... 3. Family had it over rice with broccoli on the side. Debbie T here. I’ve make Chop Suey with ingredients that are commonly used by Chinese restaurants – Asian greens (Choi Sum), bean sprouts, carrots and mushrooms. I'd have to say this is the best chop suey! Add celery, hot water, salt and pepper. Best non alcoholic substitute for Chop Suey is to use chicken broth (liquid chicken stock) in place of water in the sauce. Hi Nagi. Thanks Nagi once again for another amazing recipe! Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Originally published November 2017, modified October 2018, and updated March 2020 with new photos and video! I made it 1 time and have made it over and over again. My boyfriend hates Chinese food but I love it. Heat oil in a wok or skillet over high heat. Thanks for the recipe! In a small bowl combine the cold water, cornstarch, soy sauce and sugar. I will make this one again! Sear pork until it turns white, then add onion and saute for 5 minutes. Stir fry for 1 minute. ... transparent or until meat is tender. a couple of ounces of soy sauce (or ponzu) and last but not least - 2 T. molasses! I was very pleased with this foundation to build upon. But if you are using chicken breast or tenderloins and you choose to tenderise it, you are going to be amazed how juicy and tender the chicken is. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Heat oil in a wok or skillet over high heat. Very good. Thank you Nagi! Your email address will not be published. Heat shortening in a large, deep skillet. Info. Add choy sum stems, carrot and mushrooms. Ahh, Chinese restaurant names, they provide much amusement. But switching up your side dishes can bring a refreshing change to a classic comfort food dish. I didn't have shortening so I sauted the onions in about 2 Tbsp. My husband and I both really enjoyed it. Use your fingers to mix then set aside for 20 minutes, no longer than 30 minutes (can get too tender). EASY CHOP SUEY Enter the answer length or the answer pattern to get better results. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Also mirin in stead of cooking wine. The veggies I used were all fresh: thinly sliced carrot cabbage celery bean sprouts and water chestnuts. Very easy. Use any vegetables you want in this quick and easy stir fry. The Crossword Solver found 20 answers to the Chop suey sauce/2262/Chop sooey sauce/2262/Chop sooey sauce crossword clue. Cover skillet and simmer for 5 minutes. can this be done with pork? I usually place my bean sprouts in a bowl of cold water to keep them crispy before i make chop suey. Skip the step if using chicken thigh - it's not needed, it's juicy enough. Hi Bonnie, you can really add anything you like here – some broccoli or spring onion would work perfectly! My family loves it too. YEAH!!! Then the sauce is added, simmered for just a minute or two so it thickens, then served immediately over rice to soak up all that tasty sauce! Vegetables that take longer to cook go in first, and more delicate vegetables (like leafy greens) go in last. Chop Suey – a saucy chicken stir fry loaded with tender pieces of chicken, vegetables and smothered in Chinese brown sauce just like you get at the best Chinese restaurants! Required fields are marked *. Julienned the carrots and added them in with the leafy tops of the bok choy Quite a pretty looking meal and will definately make it again. Thanks for another great recipe ! Instead of bean sprouts I used a can of fancy mixed Chinese vegetables which also contained bean sprouts. Now, I am happy whenever I cook food for my family, because I got your brilliant recipes! I did crisp my bean sprouts as usually needed for chop suey and definitely did not need to. My husband and his brother say it's better than Moms. There are a few ways to do this, but I like using a simple method where the chicken is coated in a small amount of baking soda (bi-carb), left for 20 minutes to tenderise, then rinsed before cooking in the stir fry.