Vuonna 2011 Farantoúri teki berliiniläisen kamarimusiikkiorkesterin ja turkkilaisen säveltäjän ja saz-muusikon Taner Akyolin kanssa kreikkalaista ja anatolialaista musiikkiperinteitä sekoittavan albumin, Maria Farantouri Sings Taner Akyol. Maria Farantouri and Assaf Kacholi will are set to shine a bright light into the hall of sombre memories, with the songs from Mikis Theodorakis’ Ballad of Mauthausen. I recommend owning both albums. Això la va portar –al llarg de tota la seva carrera musical- a fer gires arreu de Grècia i a l’estranger, al costat de Theodorakis. Maria Farantouri o Farandouri (grec: Μαρία ... Una d’aquestes primeres composicions va ser: The Ballad of Mauthausen, de 1966. Maria Farantouri and Assaf Kacholi also shine a light into the hall of sombre memories, with the songs from Mikis Theodorakis’ Ballad of Mauthausen. Maria Farantouri is a great singer,and this album is one of her two best (to be fair,I own 3 of them). This recording of the famous ballad of Mauthausen marked the beginning of one of the most fruitious collaborations in greek music, that of Mikis Theodorakis and the singer Maria Farantouri. Farantouri was discovered by Theodorakis at age sixteen whereupon he is said to have remarked; you will be my highpriestress. In that one she sings 4 pieces. Amb el cop militar de 1967, i amb només 20 anys, Maria Farantouri es va exiliar a París i a Londres. The other outstanding one is "Struggles of the Greek People". The power and majesty of Theodorakis' music combined with the soaring beauty of Maria Farantouri's singing make Ballad for Mauthausen a profound testament to the power of human resistance to tyranny & oppression (the record is a tribute to the inmates & survivors of the Nazi concentration camp, Mauthausen).