3.9 out of 5 stars 168. He was scheduled to appear as the best friend of his replacement's character, but the show was cancelled before he appeared. People next to me at Starbucks would say, 'Hey, let me tell you my idea,' and I'd be like, 'Hey, I'm just trying to get a cup of coffee.' financial legal services: Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer and Feld L.L.P. That's the surefire way to kill chemistry in a scene. 1 offer from CDN$75.85. Maria explains that, growing up, her family experienced many hardships, and that she and Gus simply want her to be happy. While working one day, she is immediately smitten with Ian Miller, a handsome, Anglo-Saxon man. The site's critical consensus reads, "Though it sometimes feels like a television sitcom, My Big Fat Greek Wedding is good-hearted, lovable, and delightfully eccentric, with a sharp script and lead performance from Nia Vardalos. Official Sites My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Widescreen/Full Screen) (Sous-titres français) [Import] Nia Vardalos. Her mother, Maria, comforts Toula and convinces Gus to agree to Toula's idea. Corbett had already signed on to the TV series Lucky. As the two families dance together, Toula narrates that while her family is indeed loud, odd, and somewhat dramatic, she knows they love her and will always be there for her. To get the family to accept him, Ian agrees be baptized into the church. Late into the 16-year gap between My Big Fat Greek Wedding and its sequel, Rita Wilson, who co-produced both films, went through a major change: She became a singer-songwriter. [8] It was the fifth highest-grossing film of 2002 in the United States and Canada,[9] with USD$241,438,208, and the highest-grossing romantic comedy in history. However, the meetings proved fruitless because the executives insisted on making changes that they felt would make the film more marketable, which Vardalos objected to: these included changing the plot, getting a known actress in the lead role (Marisa Tomei was one name mentioned),[7] and changing the family's ethnicity to Hispanic. And it's only now that I've really become open to the idea. Gus refuses to let them continue seeing each other; they blithely ignore his decree, so Gus introduces Toula to single friends of his own, to no avail. The film is among the most profitable of all time, with a 6150% return on a (inflation adjusted) cost of $6 million to produce. [5] Hanks later said that casting Vardalos in the lead role "brings a huge amount of integrity to the piece, because it's Nia's version of her own life and her own experience. My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002) cast and crew credits, including actors, actresses, directors, writers and more. Next. My Big Fat Greek Wedding became a sleeper hit and grew steadily from its limited release. 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' star on her mom's hilarious reaction to headset scene Nia Vardalos, who wrote the movie, said a mattress was set up … The film inspired the brief 2003 TV series My Big Fat Greek Life, with most of the major characters played by the same actors, with the exception of Steven Eckholdt replacing Corbett as the husband. Toronto's Ryerson University and Greektown neighborhood feature prominently in the film. Many other players have had difficulties withActress ___ Vardalos of My Big Fat Greek Wedding that is why we have decided to share not only this […] Read More “Actress ___ Vardalos of My Big Fat Greek Wedding … | Nia Vardalos later confirmed this via Twitter, and she also has written a script for the film. We have such an easy chemistry together. They continue dating and fall in love. In a 2009 interview for her film My Life in Ruins, asked about a possible sequel for My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Vardalos stated that she had an idea for a sequel and had started writing it, hinting that, like Ruins, the film would be set in Greece.[16]. Toula's happiness working at the travel agency catches Ian's attention and he asks her to dinner. Canadian actor was a prolific presence on the stage and screen with roles including an investment banker on the series Traders and the hapless father of the groom in the film