PRONOMI POSSESSIVI: il nome non c’è (il pronome sta al posto del nome). In certain contexts, the masculine singular possessive pronoun form il mio, il tuo, il suo, etc., implies ciò che appartiene a me, or ciò che spetta a me—my stuff, that which belongs to me, or my due. If you are introducing someone else's possession into the sentence with a proper name (mine, yours, and Giulia's, for example), you need to use the regular Italian possessive di with the pronome dimostrativo quello/a/i/e or you need to repeat the noun. Hanno le stesse forme degli aggettivi mio, tuo, suo, nostro, vostro, loro, altrui, proprio che, invece di essere accompagnati da un nome,lo sostituiscono. It can also indicate supporters or troops related to battles, rivalries, or games. By using ThoughtCo, you accept our, Ways to Use the Multi-Purpose Italian Preposition 'Di', How to Conjugate the Verb "Dire" in Italian, Italian Phrases for a Day out at the Beach, 75 Vocabulary Words for Playing and Talking About Sports in Italian, How to Use the Italian Verbs Sapere and Conoscere, To See: How to Conjugate and Use the Italian Verb Vedere, How to Conjugate the Verb "Perdere" in Italian, Italian Calendar Months and Seasons: I Mesi e Le Stagioni, M.A., Italian Studies, Middlebury College. In correspondence, the feminine singular possessive pronoun (la mia, la tua, la sua) implies the word "letter": Used generally with the verbs essere and stare, the singular feminine possessive pronoun mia or tua stands in for parte, which means "side," as in being on someone's side. Sto dalla tua parte: sto dalla tua. They translate to the English "mine," "yours," “his," "hers," "yours," and "theirs": That is your car; this is mine. Italian possessive pronouns ( pronomi possessivi) serve the same function of their English counterparts: They replace a noun previously used with a possessive adjective ( aggettivo possessivo) in order to avoid repetition. In talking about family members you use the masculine plural possessive pronoun (i miei, i tuoi, etc.) Michael San Filippo co-wrote The Complete Idiot's Guide to Italian History and Culture. Guarda mi nombre, correo electrónico y web en este navegador para la próxima vez que comente. Used with the verb dire, the feminine singular possessive mia, tua, sua, etc., refers to opinione: We are talking here about expressing an opinion without mentioning the opinion at all. to mean parents or relatives generally (or cari, dear ones). As you can see, there is no noun to say ciò che appartiene a me; the pronoun does it. Questa macchina è di rossa; la mia invece è di bianca. Italian possessive pronouns (pronomi possessivi) serve the same function of their English counterparts: They replace a noun previously used with a possessive adjective (aggettivo possessivo) in order to avoid repetition. To each his own. It can mean behaving in a particular way, or saying something outrageous, but it remains unspoken, covered by the pronoun. Ci sono casi in cui il possesso può essere indicato senza usare un aggettivo o un pronome possessivo, ma usando un pronome personale di terza persona in funzione di complemento di specificazione: Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada. The parte or side is entirely understood from the context. He is a tutor of Italian language and culture. Los campos obligatorios están marcados con *. ThoughtCo uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. Usiamo i pronomi per parlare di la famiglia o degli amici: Abito con i miei (= i miei genitori). If it feels like something is missing, it's because it is. In a particular set of constructs or expressions, possessive pronouns stand in for nouns that go completely unmentioned and whose meaning or presence, because of longstanding use in those particular contexts, is understood. Occorre ricordare che il proprio si può usare solamente quando il soggetto coincide con il possessore della preposizione, negli altri casi bisogna usare il possessivo il suo, la sua ecc. In other words, rather than standing in for a noun, they replace it without any need for the noun to be mentioned at all. They translate to the English "mine," "yours," “his," "hers," "yours," and "theirs": Just like their fellow possessive adjectives, possessive pronouns must agree in number and gender with the noun they replace (the thing whose possession we are discussing) and are accompanied by the appropriate definite article (articolo determinativo), also in agreement, or articulated proposition (if there is also a preposition). I am on your side. can be used to mean business (affari, fatti, or cavoli, a euphemism for one's private matters). « la mia » sottintende « la mia macchina ». Used with the verbs dire (to say), fare (to do/pull), or combinare (do/pull), possessive pronouns are used in the expressions una delle mie (one of mine), una delle tue (one of yours), una delle sue (one of his/hers), and so forth, to reference something peculiar to that person; something for which that person is known for doing or saying—sort of like an MO. PER SAPERNE DI PIÙ, CONOSCERE I COOKIE UTILIZZATI ED ESPRIMERE IL TUO CONSENSO ACCEDI ALLA PAGINA. The specific meaning is known to the insiders in the conversation. Vivo con i miei means, I live with my parents, without mention of parents. : And there is the famous saying, A ciascuno il suo. I pronomi possessivi indicano l'appartenenza di un oggetto (o essere) e contemporaneamente il possessore. In other words, to mind your or someone's business. Sono pronomi possessivi anche il proprio, la propria, i propri, le proprie e l’altrui, la altrui, gli altrui e le altrui. And, of course, when toasting to someone's health or salute: It is understood that that is what we are toasting to. Sono dei vostri (=faccio parte del vostro gruppo). Aprende cómo se procesan los datos de tus comentarios. With the verb fare, in the masculine plural i miei, i tuoi, etc. Este sitio usa Akismet para reducir el spam. Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada. Essi si declinano come gli aggettivi possessivi corrispondenti: i nostri libri e i vostri; distinguere il mio dal tuo. Todos los derechos reservados Claudio Gibellato  - Cookie Policy - privacy policy, QUESTO SITO WEB UTILIZZA I COOKIE PER ASSICURARE UNA MIGLIORE ESPERIENZA DI NAVIGAZIONE, OLTRE AI COOKIE DI NATURA TECNICA SONO UTILIZZATI ANCHE COOKIE DI PROFILAZIONE UTENTE E COOKIE DI TERZE PARTI. Aprende cómo se procesan los datos de tus comentarios.