Otis Redding (I’ve been loving you too Long, can’t stop now). Perhaps you should add a folk singer. Find information about "the greatest soul album 30 best soul songs ever" listen to "the greatest soul album 30 best soul songs ever" on AllMusic Bollywood songs have become a rage at parties and Bollywood fever is getting bigger. Boogie Wnderland? to leave out Curtis Mayfield? Did we also forget The Staple Singers’ “I’ll Take You There”?…….Maze featuring Frankie Beverly’s “Before I Let Go”…..and you have nothing by the Temptations……what’s up?!! Play on Spotify. 100 Greatest "Classic" R&B/Soul Songs Criteria: R&B/Soul Songs - Chosen for their impact, influence and quality in R&B from 1950-1979 (excluding songs with a clearly pop slant). 500 Greatest Songs of All Time Rolling Stone’s definitive list of the 500 greatest songs of all time. Music, The 25 Best Soul Songs Ever Sponsored links. The space below showcases a comprehensive list of the best soul songs. Start over…! Eddie Floyd – Knock on wood. !~, I have to agree there should be at least a list of two hundred songs. Yes, thank you….. No Marvin Gaye “Let’s Get it On”? Below are links to the pages that list the winners of each category. 2. Soul songs gave a new identity to African American culture in the 60s and 70s, The soul genre spread its wings in the 50s; however, it was the dawn of the 60s that took soul to a new level. The Temptations – My Girl Tweet. Your email address will not be published. The lyrics of soul songs are stories of emotion that narrate a tale of life experiences. It should have been labeled as Curtis Mayfield & The Impressions! In The Name of Love- The Supremes (1965), You Keep Me Hangin’ On- The Supremes (1966), Respect Yourself- The Staple Singers (1971), I Should Be Proud- Martha and the Vandellas (1970), Dancing In The Streets- Martha and the Vandellas (1964), La-La (Means I Love You)- The Delfonics (1968), Could It Be I’m Falling In Love- The Spinners (1972), Hot Fun In The Summertime- Sly and the Family Stone (1969), Jimmy Mack- Martha and the Vandellas (1967), I’ll Take You There- The Staple Singers (1972), Turn Back the Hands of Time- Tyrone Davis (1970). Soul songs became huge chartbusters in the 60s and 70s thereby leading to slick sounding subgenres. (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction’ — The Rolling Stones. The list must be composed by someone who aren´t familiar with Soul what so ever. Oh yeah – “What becomes of the broken hearted” should definitely be there. My Favorite Quote I agree about Eddie Floyd (I never found me a Girl). @media(min-width:300px) {.flip_top {width:300px;height:250px;}} Sam Cooke – A Change Is Gonna Come nearly forgot Delfonics or the Chilites have you seen her. We’re a winner. James Brown – It’s A Man’s Man’s Man’s World Wilson Pickett – In The Midnight Hour, wherever i lay my hat..marvin gaye…….marv johnson..rose for my rose Some of the important subgenres of soul are…. Can tell that whomever compiled this is younger than 50 and never lived the golden age of soul… WHERE IS SOLOMON BURKE?, Righteous Brothers? Arthur Conley – Sweet Soul Music of songs… One of my Favorites is not on there but I will not make a FUSS about it… I happen to Loe “TRY A LITTLE TENDERNESS” Otis Redding and Several others…~! Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell – Your Precious Love Hold On, I'm Comin' Sam & Dave • Hold On, I'm Comin' 2:35 0:30. Being Black in America, Being Poor in America, losing your true love all combines to form the crucible of soul. Judy Clay & William Bell – Private Number Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Curtis Mayfield and the Impressions. @media(min-width:480px) {.flip_top {width:336px;height:280px;}} Yes, do the Top 100. Barrett Strong: Money (That’s What I Want) Fantasy films are associated with speculative forms that showcase different themes of fantasy and supernatural events. Thanks, SoulTrackers for casting thousands of votes for the "Best Disco Songs." Your email address will not be published. Producer: Brendan O'Brien. Thats what I said brother. Required fields are marked *. Otis Redding – Try A Little Tenderness FOLKS… I am 79, White but I enjoyed all kinds of Music but was exposed to a lot of Soul Music… Now here is your Problem… Someone wrote this up and knew they would have to limit the amount It looks like it. papa was a rolling stone the temptations. Smokey Robinson & the Miracles – Tracks of My Tears Al Green, an ordained minister, is one of the greatest soul and gospel vocalists ever. So get ready to dance as you check out your picks. James Carr – The Dark End of the Street His career began in 1967. Etta James…anything by her, Duh! Barry White – Can’t get enough of Your Love, Babe Thumbs down. The fantastic Evelyn "Champagne" King topped the voting with her debut hit, "Shame," and there are 99 other inspired choices. Some of the key figures that helped propel soul to dizzy heights are mentioned below…, Soul is a broad based music genre that made way for many subgenres. New Jack Swing Fashion And Style: A Photo Essay, Best David Sylvian & Japan Songs: A Singular Musical Mind, ‘E=MC2’: Mariah Carey’s 2008 Album Is A Celebration, ‘Feeling Good’: Nina Simone’s Joyous Emancipation Anthem. Anyway, there’s no point in spending too much time explaining it, just listen to our playlist and you’ll hear 45 of the greatest soul records of all time. who ever made that list up was not around n the sixties. what no Garnet Mimms,Oscar Toney Jnr,Drifters,Howard Tate Arthur Alexander and so many more i could think off. Released: July '02, … all about opinions……only two on that list i aint got on one format or another………no roy hamilton….louu johnson….the gospel classics…….etc etc the list goes on. When a man loves a woman? A good list, but where do you stop? This is mainstream Soul, and I don´t considere it to be relevant as a list of the best Soul Music. But if you listen, you may learn something new.”- Dalai Lama. You leave out “sitting on the dock of the Bay” –Otis Redding? Marvin Gaye – I Heard It Through The Grapevine Whomever did this list doesn’t even know the raw Emotion of Soul!! His signature songs include "Let's Stay Together," "I'm Still In Love With You" and "Love and Happiness." Martha & The Vandellas: Dancing In The Street After five years, I am on a project reworking the list… The greatest era of music in history, but this list .looks like it was taken from a Kasey Kasem hit parade. A rather loose definition of soul. This article throws light on the best Hollywood fantasy movies.. All that moving and shaking at a party is only possible if good dance music is playing. Superstition? Aretha Franklin – Respect Gladys Knight and the Pips – Midnight Train To Georgia Etta James – At Last We see influences of R&B and soul music in present day dance music. Find album reviews, stream songs, credits and award information for The Greatest Soul Music Hits of All Time - Various Artists on AllMusic - 2006 Using the definition cited above these two songs would be towards the top of the list. Jimmy Ruffin…brother of David Ruffin of The Temptations…, Maurice Williams & the Zodiacs. Great choice, Great list, but so many other tracks & artists could be added……Bill Withers, Whitney Houston, The Isley Brothers….could go on for ever. While there are different interpretations of what soul music represents, the truth is it is music that makes you feel good. These are the best, most romantic love songs that have ever been written, including pop, rock, country, soul, and R&B tracks. Bruce Springsteen, 'The Rising' Writer: Springsteen. Frank Zappa Facts: 10 Things We Learned From The ‘ZAPPA’ Doc, Best Christmas Gifts For Music Lovers: This Year’s Must-Have Clothing And Merch, Best Taylor Swift Gifts For Swifties This Christmas, Best Christmas Songs: 50 Essential Seasonal Classics, Why Gentle Giant’s Debut Album Was A Towering Achievement, James Taylor Shares Video For ‘You’ve Got To Be Carefully Taught’, Eminem Releases Limited-Edition ‘Marshall Mathers’-Themed Carhartt Collaboration, Lewis Capaldi Announces ‘Divinely Uninspired To A Hellish Extent: The Finale’ Deluxe LP, Watch The Video For Yungblud’s New Song, ‘Mars’, Paul Weller Releases ‘On Sunset’ Remixes On 12” Vinyl. I Heard It Through The Grapevine- Marvin Gaye (1968), When A Man Loves A Woman- Percy Sledge (1966), I’ve Been Loving You Too Long- Otis Redding (1965), I Was Made To Love Her- Stevie Wonder (1967), (Sittin’ On) The Dock of the Bay- Otis Redding (1967), Ain’t No Mountain High Enough- Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell (1967), I Got You (I Feel Good)- James Brown (1965), Reach Out I’ll Be There- Four Tops (1966), In The Midnight Hour- Wilson Pickett (1966), Try A Little Tenderness- Otis Redding (1966), What Becomes of the Brokenhearted- Jimmy Ruffin (1966), It Takes Two- Marvin Gaye and Kim Weston (1965), Nowhere To Run- Martha and the Vandellas (1965), Baby I Need your Loving- Four Tops (1964), (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher- Jackie Wilson (1967), Betcha By Golly Wow- The Stylistics (1972), Ain’t Too Proud To Beg- The Temptations (1966), Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)- Marvin Gaye (1971), Living For The City- Stevie Wonder (1973), Dance To The Music- Sly and the Family Stone (1968), You Can’t Hurry Love- The Supremes (1966), Can’t Get Enough of Your Love, Babe- Barry White (1974), The Tears of a Clown- Smokey Robinson and the Miracles (1970), Kiss and Say Goodbye- The Manhattans (1976), Everyday People- Sly and the Family Stone (1968), Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone- The Temptations (1972), Where Did Our Love Go- The Supremes (1964), The Love I Lost- Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes (1973), Signed, Sealed, Delivered I’m Yours- Stevie Wonder (1970), I Wish It Would Rain- The Temptations (1967), The Tracks of My Tears- Smokey Robinson & The Miracles (1965), Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)- The Temptations (1971), For The Love of You- The Isley Brothers (1975), This Old Heart of Mine (Is Weak for You)- The Isley Brothers (1966), Midnight Train To Georgia- Gladys Knight & the Pips (1973), Don’t Leave Me This Way- Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes (1975), Rainy Night In Georgia- Brook Benton (1970), If I Could Build My Whole World Around You- Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell (1967), Got to Get You Off My Mind- Solomon Burke (1965), I Can’t help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)- Four Tops (1965), Didn’t I (Blow Your Mind This Time- The Delfonics (1969), Everybody Plays The Fool- The Main Ingredient (1972), Under The Broadwalk- The Drifters- (1964), Can I Change My Mind- Tyrone Davis (1969), You Make Me Feel Brand New- The Stylistics (1974), Tell Me Something Good- Rufus and Chaka Khan (1974), Stop!