in: A Man's Life, Featured, Lessons In Manliness, Movies, On Manhood, Brett and Kate McKay Actually, Commodus fought in the Colosseum quite often: of course, he always won – also because no one wanted to make the emperor angry . Who were Maximus, Commodus and Marcus Aurelius? Maximus Decimus Meridius: Two years, two hundred and sixty-four days and this morning. He only fought when he needed to and in the service of a worthy cause. r/aww. Maximus Decimus Meridius: What we do in life, echoes in eternity. His men respected and honored him greatly. Communities. He turned down the glory of being Emperor of Rome in order to embrace the warmth of familial love. The footage of the Colosseum and the ludi gladiatori – the best scenes of the movie – shows faithfully the Roman entertainment: There are many other curiosities we could talk about, but that’s it for now. Maximus Decimus Meridius, Protagonist des Monumentalfilms Gladiator (hierbei ist der Beiname Maximus in Unkenntnis der römischen Gewohnheiten vorangestellt.) January 26, 2008 Does Ibuprofen Help or Hurt Your Workouts? In the afterlife. Erzählt wurde die Geschichte des römischen Feldherrn Maximus Decimus Meridius (Russell Crowe), treuer Anhänger des Kaisers Marc Aurel. Oliver Reed’s character is more important than you think! We only recommend products we genuinely like, and purchases made through our links support our mission and the free content we publish here on AoM. Blessed mother, come to me with the Gods’ desire for my future. card classic compact. Blessed father, watch over my wife and son with a ready sword. He later served as a Gladiator in the arena after he escaped Commodus. The Complete Guide to the Perfect Deadlift, The Complete Library of Rocky Training Exercises, 10 (Non-Religious) Books to Get Into the Devotional Reading Habit. Although Maximus’ wife was brutally murdered, this did not dampen his devotion to her. Marcus Nonius Macrinus and the fictitious Maximus Decimus Meridius are placed within the same time period. However, the gesture that meant “kill him” was not thumb down but the opposite, representing the unsheathed sword; In the movie, we see the gladiators recreating the Battle of Carthage. When Rome falls into corrupted hands, he did not give up on his country. Here are four lessons on manliness that we can learn from him. Whisper to them that I live only to hold them again, for all else is dust and air. Maximus Decimus Meridius. Yet Maximus stayed loyal to his dead wife and family and turned down her advances. Posts about Maximus Decimus Meridius. It often happened they performed in great battles of the past, as an incredibly interesting history lesson. (And Why the Difference Matters), 8 Personal Finance Lessons from Benjamin Franklin, Podcast #605: The Money Moves You Should Make Right Now, So You Want My Trade: Automotive Mechanic/Technician. To keep his heels down while riding his horse. Absolutely one of the most famous quotes ever, obviously one of the most loved movies ever. We all have watched Ridley Scott’s movie, but what is the true story of “The Gladiator”? Yet Maximus stayed loyal to his dead wife and family and turned down her advances. During the fights, gladiators could also challenge some animals, like tigers in this case. Maximus oder Maximus of Gloucester , das lyrische Ich der Maximus Poems von Charles Olson , Raphael and Fornarina: true love lasts forever. 27.4m members. In every battle, whether in war or in the arena, Maximus always defeated his opponent with a combination of brute force and strategy. • Should You Lift Weights Before Doing Cardio? About the Colosseum: 5 interesting facts! Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. Macrinus' life inspired Russell Crowe 's character Maximus Decimus Meridius in the 2000 feature film Gladiator. Loyally striving to fulfill the dying emperor’s wish for Roman rule to be restored to the people and the Senate, Maximus toils and sacrifices until the Republic is restored. Here’s What Happened When I Wore a Tie to Work Every Day for a Year, Your First Style Steps: Beyond Jeans, T-Shirts, and Tennis Shoes, How To Shave Like Your Grandpa Using a Safety Razor, How to Trim Your Mustache: An Illustrated Guide, The Best Damn Guide to Men’s T-Shirts on the Internet, 10 Things Your Father Should Have Taught You About Style, Podcast #449: Faster and Cheaper Alternatives to College, Saving for Your Kids’ College Education: A Primer on the 529, How to Write the Perfect College Application Essay, How to Pursue a New Career (While Still Getting the Bills Paid), So You (Or Your Wife) Wants to Join a Multi-Level Marketing Company, Podcast #175: How to Improve Your Work and Life With Systems, 10 Tips for Successfully Working from Home, #393: The Importance of Building Your Social Capital, Podcast #659: Do You Want to Be Rich or Wealthy? Maximus was a family man. • Last updated: September 20, 2020. It was as if he was asking the gods to be with him during the battle. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.” He actually died during the Antonine Plague in 180 AD; In the movie, Marcus Aurelius is described as a philosopher: that’s true! It is pure entertainment for the eyes, and deep knowledge for the mind. Maximus "the Spaniard" Decimus Meridius (144-192) was the commander of the Armies of the North and the Felix Legions under the Roman Empire. If you want to know more about the true story of “The Gladiator” just send us an email or stay tuned. [Maximus looks at images of his wife and son] Besides the characters, we need to consider how historically important is the background. Further, both Marcus and the fictitious Maximus are liked and well known by Marcus Aurelius. Verraten durch dessen Sohn, in Sklaverei geraten und an eine Gladiatorenschule verkauft. Podcast #608: How Caffeine Hooks, Hurts, and Helps Us, Ready, Set, Fast: How Strategic Meal-Skipping Can Help You Lose Fat, Gain Muscle, and Get Healthier, Podcast #475: How to Lose Weight, and Keep It Off Forever, Relax These 2 Body Parts to Run Farther and Faster, Podcast #554: Babe Ruth and the World He Made, Podcast #638: How Changing Your Breathing Can Change Your Life, Podcast #636: Why You Overeat and What to Do About It, Stop Hanging Out With Women and Start Dating Them, Podcast #584: How to Avoid Falling in Love With the Wrong Person, A Man Is Punctual: The Importance of Being on Time, Podcast #448: Your Son Isn’t Lazy — How to Empower Boys to Succeed, Movies Every Millennial Dad Should Introduce to His Kids, The Best Way to Make and Keep Friendships in Adulthood, Podcast #618: Finding Connection in a Lonely World, Podcast #648: Lessons in Building Rapport from Experts in Terrorist Interrogation, Develop a Strong He-Man Voice by Using the Voice Nature Gave You, Podcast #627: How to Deal With Jerks, Bullies, Tyrants, and Trolls, What to Do When Someone Tells the Same Stories Over and Over, Lessons in Manliness From Hardboiled Detective Philip Marlowe, The Spartan Way: Brotherhood Is Born in Breaking Bread, Lessons from The Art of War: Good Leaders vs. Bad Leaders, Manvotional: Fidelity in Small Things Saves Us. Throughout the film a romantic tension exists between Maximus and the Emperor’s daughter. Maximus Decimus Meridius: Ancestors, I ask you for your guidance. Marcus Aurelius: When was the last time you were home? He never doubted his ability to win. Before each battle, Maximus would reach down and run dirt through his hands. Juba: Your family. “The Gladiator” is an open window on the past, through which we can see the daily life during the Roman Empire. While Maximus excelled at the martial arts, he did not revel in bloodshed. Ancestors, I honor you and will try to live with the dignity that you have taught me. April 1964 in Wellington geboren und kann auf eine erfolgreiche Hollywood-Karriere zurückblicken: Als römischer Feldherr Maximus Decimus Meridius erkämpfte er … He eventually killed Commodus, but died shortly after. To my wife… that is not your business. He was one of the most important Stoic philosophers ever, mostly writing his thoughts in Greek; The battle at the beginning of the movie – which shows perfectly the technique of the Roman army – is celebrated onto the famous column dedicated to Marcus Aurelius in Rome; A total absolutism marked Commodus’s reign, as in the movie: according to many historiographers, he called himself “the Roman Hercules”; We all noticed Commodus’s love for gladiators: in the movie, he doesn’t hesitate to challenge Maximus in the arena.