4. This earlier saying also did not mention misguided customers, yet it is still an intriguing precursor. @#13: Scheint tatsächlich so: Da ich Dr. Dolittle nicht kenne, ging das völlig an mir vorbei, aber auf Wikipedia steht, dass Dr. Aibolit wohl die russische Adaption ist. Lewis Mumford? Ich glaube das Buch hieß Dr. Aibolit. The earliest ascription to Ford that QI has located appeared in a letter sent to the UK publication Marketing Week in 2001: 2, Being market-led implies being led by the consumer — and consumers are bad at coming up with innovations (Henry Ford’s quote: “If I had asked my customers what they wanted they would have said a faster horse” springs to mind…). The theme of using devices with internal combustion engines to do the work of horses is related to the quotation, but this topic is still quite distinct: 3. Die Fenstergröße wurde verändert. Reminds me of the Pushmi-Pullyu (Stoßmich-Ziehdich) from Dr. Dolittle. In letters between Swift and “Vanessa”, the word “coffee” was a coded reference to sex. Please note: Contributions to LEO GmbH are not tax deductible. This is really interesting. A number of words have, and others ought to have, entered the English language after having been invented by the author of a work of fiction. Thanks for sharing. (Website forbes.com accessed 2011 July 28). Autor: Jonathan Swift Illustrator: Chris Ridell Gebundene Ausgabe: 144 Seiten Verlag: Sauerländer; Auflage: 1 (Januar 2006) Sprache: Deutsch ISBN-10: 3794160487 ISBN … Oddly, Henry Ford’s great-grandson William Clay Ford Jr. used the remark in 2006 and indicated that the attribution was accurate. Die Bedeutung des Namens Vanessa sowie alle Infos zur Herkunft, Namenstag, berühmte Namensträger von Vanessa jetzt im RTL Vornamen-Lexikon nachlesen! 1999 Summer, The Cruise Industry News Quarterly, Volume 9, Number 37, Article: Creating Cruise Ships with an Eye on Next Generation, Author: Greg Miller, Start Page 67, Quote Page 67, Publisher: Oivind Mathisen & Angela Reale Mathisen, New York. It seems like you genuinely enjoy doing the research for things like this and know quite a bit about history . In 1979 the magazine Cosmic Search published a fable about the financial support of scientific research set around 1819. Indeed, at the turning point of a civilization (which is where, it seems to me, we are today) continuities inevitably represent inertia, the dead past; and only mutations are likely to prove durable. The phrase “to spend even one pence” does appear in the 1979 issue of the magazine Cosmic Search though it may be incorrect for the supposed 1819 setting of the fable. By Lemuel Gulliver, First a Surgeon, and then a Captain of Several Ships is a 1726 prose satire by the Irish writer and clergyman Jonathan Swift, satirising both human nature and the "travellers' tales" literary subgenre. (Google Books Preview), 2005, The Ten Faces of Innovation by Tom Kelley with Jonathan Littman, Quote Page 37, Doubleday division of Random House Inc., New York. Registration and participation are free! Schildbürgerstreich :-)) Gehört "Pappenheimer" dazu? A few examples from German were given in the following thread: Dem leider allzufrüh verstorbenen Herbert Rosendorfer verdanken wir mindestens den, I suppose there are the words from the German translation of. You can search the forum without needing to register. Why, there are lots of small farms that have four and five teams of horses that stand idle three quarters of the time eating their heads off. The vessel is en route to the port of Nansha, sailing at a speed of 18.5 knots and expected to arrive there on Nov 13, 04:00.. Teile dieser Seite funktionieren nur mit aktiviertem JavaScript. Jonathan Swift invented the girls’ name Vanessa. Kann mich auch an nichts mehr erinnern aus dem Buch, nur an das Stoß-mal-zieh-mal. Breeding homing pigeons that could cover a given space with ever increasing rapidity did not give us the laws of telegraphy, nor did breeding faster horses bring us the steam locomotive. In conclusion, QI has not yet located compelling evidence that Henry Ford is responsible for this quotation. If somebody had been asked to do research about the year 1800 into how transportation could be improved, what would he have done? We put a lot of love and effort into our project. You need to be logged in to use the vocabulary trainer. 2.… Quote Investigator: The earliest linkage known to QI between the saying and Henry Ford appeared in “The Cruise Industry News Quarterly” in 1999. Update History: On October 20, 2016 the 1999 John McNeece citation was added to the article. Vanessa gilt auch als erfundener Name des Schriftstellers Jonathan Swift, der den … John McNeece: “There is a problem trying to figure out what people want by canvassing them. Weitere sehr weit verbreitete Namen, die von Poeten herbeifantasiert wurden, sind Vanessa, den Jonathan Swift für sein autobiografisches Gedicht „Cadenus and Vanessa“ aus den Anfangsilben … Der weibliche Vorname Vanessa stammt aus dem Englischen und ist ein Kunstname, der vermutlich vom irischen Schriftsteller Jonathan Swift erfunden wurde. Horses on a farm are wasteful. I happened to visit the space one day and was struck by a Henry Ford quote the team had posted on the wall. The book included a segment of the 1946 quotation from Mumford that was given earlier. She was closely associated with Lewis Mumford who was one of her mentors. (JSTOR), 1971, The Role of Research in Educational Change, Edited by Alfred Yates, Chapter 2: Structural Aspects of Educational Research, Start Page 23, Quote Page 32, Unesco Institute for Education, Pacific Books, Palo Alto, California. I’ve often heard teachers complaining of children coming to school. Der Name Vanessa kommt in verschiedenen Sprachen vor, hat aber vermutlich einen griechischen Ursprung und steht in Verbindung mit der griechischen Gottheit Phanessa. In the fable the character Lord Allsen was depicted negatively as someone who obtusely favored only funding research with short-term limited goals: 7. Organized By Name ... 2005, The Ten Faces of Innovation by Tom Kelley with Jonathan Littman, Quote Page 37, Doubleday division of Random House Inc., New York. If I had asked my customers what they wanted they would have said a faster horse. (Many thanks to Daniel Gackle whose email provided the stimulus for this investigation. Jonathan wurde nach der Rückkehr nach Dublin von Verwandten aufgezogen. If he does, by the same token people who sought to improve transportation should have devoted themselves to breeding faster horses, rather than inventing railroads, motor cars, or airplanes. Swift verwendete ihn als Pseudonym für seine langjährige heimliche Geliebte Esther Vanhomrigh. (Verified visually; thanks to the staff of Hubert Library of Florida International University), 2001 January 18, Marketing Week, Innovation: ‘breaks conventions’, [Letter from David Lowings, Chief executive, 42 consulting, Maidenhead], Centaur Media plc., London. He contended that incremental extensions of existing ideas sometimes did not lead to significant progress.