Nameberry is a registered trademark of Nameberry, LLC. The name was borne by the 9th-century Spanish martyr Saint Laura, who was a nun thrown into a vat of molten lead by the Moors. A frequent Top 20 name from 1963 to 1986, reaching Number 10 in 1969, Laura remained in the Top 100—minus a brief stretch from 1935 to 1944—until as recently as 2001. Pronouncing “Difficult” Names (and Why It Matters). Meanings Latin Baby Names Meaning: In Latin Baby Names the meaning of the name Lara is: Famous. I love this name, though it makes me think of dramatic crises. To rate names on Nameberry, please register for an account or log in to an existing account. Lorrie, Laurice, I love the meaning as well as I am a huge fan of nature names. Lorri, My name is Laura, I'm mid 20s, and always had at least one other Laura around in my age range at church, school, etc. Laurinda, Laurel, This is an alternative to Laura or Lauren made romantic by Dr Zhivago, and badass by video-game heroine Lara Croft. Lorita, I know a lot of people pronounce it like "Loruh" but I think it's so much more beautiful pronounced the spanish way "laoo-ra". 9 years ago. My little sister's name is Laura Elizabeth (Laura Beth). What middle and last name go well with Laura? See the popularity of the boy's name Laura over time, plus its meaning, origin, common sibling names, and more in BabyCenter's Baby Names tool. Lauriane, How about Lauren?This reminds me of grandmas.. mean grandmasMaybe I have granny issues even though I don't know a granny named Laura. Laurita, ever since I read the 'Little House' trilogy of books by Laura Ingalls Wilder I have been in love with the name Laura! (Russian) When I was little I wanted to be named Laura but now I don't because I (sorry world) don't like Little House on the prarie. Lauris, Lorezza, But the funny thing about the name is that is really doesn't change from language to language. Laura has ranked on the popular names list since official US records have been kept. Origin of the name Laura: Derived from the Latin laurus (laurel, an evergreen shrub or tree whose leaves were woven into wreaths by the ancient Greeks to crown victors in various contests). Hey ladies!! It's sound rolls off the tongue gorgeously, and the meaning is pretty cool. As a place name, Lara is a state in Venezuela. Lore Loren, The name Laura is a girl's name of Latin origin meaning "bay laurel". If you didn't find an alternative name that you like better than Laura, try our name generator. Originally a Latin name, Laura came into use in England in the 19th century, and is now popularly bestowed throughout the English-speaking world. Little Laura Jeanne became Jeanne, using L. Jeanne on official papers. Email. The name Laura is a girl's name of Latin origin meaning "bay laurel". Laurenza, In mythology, Lara was a nymph in Ovid's Fasti known for her beauty and inability to keep secrets. (Spanish) Laurica, Lorretta, It allows you to go beyond the similarities of a name, which can provide a lot of inspiration! Author Caitlin. Favorite Answer. In fact, her pastor of 40 years, when preparing to conduct her memorial service, was astounded to learn Jeanne was not her first name. DEMOGRAPHICS) Laura reached its highest position of #16 in the U.S. during 1960-1969, and is at #340 currently. The leaves of … (2000 U.S. The name Laura is the feminized form of laurus, Latin for "bay laurel plant", which in the Greco-Roman era was used as a symbol of victory, honor or fame. I find Laura so sweet and endearing. I prefer "Láh-rah". Laurentia Tweet. It was first made famous by the Laura to whom the Italian Renaissance poet Petrarch dedicated many of his love poems and was later used by Dickens in Bleak House. The name Lara is a girl's name of Russian origin meaning "citadel".. Would you like to follow Laura? There was only one other girl named Laura in grade school and we were never in the same class. Llora, I love how far this name has come. My sister's name, but she hates it. You will receive an email (no more than once per day) summarizing any new mentions of Laura on Nameberry. I get so annoyed when people call me Lora. All this makes Laura a more solid choice than any of its more decorative counterparts and one of the most classic girl names starting with L. Laura Fairlie is the heroine of Wendell Wilkie’s early mystery novel, The Woman in White, published in book form in 1860. Lolly, Laura is such a beautiful name. Looking for a girl name that goes with the name Laura. Share. They’re interested in a timeless, respected baby name that will serve their daughter well, whether she’s a president or a poet. It's softly feminine without being frilly, which is perfect. The name Laura is the feminized form of laurus, Latin for "bay laurel plant," which in the Greco-Roman era was used as a symbol of victory, honor or fame. The first thing you should know if you are considering Laura for your baby's name is that in most countries all over the world the name Laura is a girl name. Adoptive mom, biological mom, slacker mom, Disney mom, and above all things a REAL mom. She's classic without being predictable. While parents’ ardor for her has cooled down from its heyday (the 1960s to '80s), Laura will always remain a champ. The meaning of the name, laurel, implies victory via the laurel wreath worn by Olympic athletes and Roman emperors. Tagged as first and middle name pairs first and middle names girly name combinations. Laurentena, Baby Name: Laura March 04, 2020 Save Pin FB. Well known Lauras include First Lady Bush, Little House writer Ingalls Wilder, designer Ashley, and actors Dern and Linney. Laura Feminine form of the late Latin name, Laurus, meaning "laurel." When my Granny was little, no one could pronounce Laura in her part of the country. Laura is the best name to exist on this planet. I like the history and simplicity of it. (Italian). Laurina, Also I was pretty much named after Laura Ingalls too. It's popular in my age group but not overly so. Lv 7. Laura is a hauntingly evocative perennial, never trendy, never dated, feminine without being fussy, with literary links stretching back to … Lauren, Emma, Claire, Olivia, Amelia, Julia, Sophia, Clara, Grace, Charlotte, Isabella, Elizabeth, Emily, Sarah, Emma, Elizabeth, Julia, Anna, Hannah, Olivia, Grace, Megan, Ashley, Natalie, David, Daniel, Jacob, Michael, Matthew, Joseph, Andrew, Benjamin, Ryan, Adam, Jonathan, John, See name meaning, origin, popularity, and related names. I'm glad to see this name has come to be more commonplace in the years since her childhood. © 2020 Nameberry.com. More Inspiration: 100+ Middle Names As Sweet As Your Baby Girl, Lovely L Names For Baby Girls, Baby Girl Names From Children’s Books, Terrific Two-Syllable Girl Names, Laureen, The literary association is a plus. I think Laura … As an English name, Laura has been used since the 13th century. Its classic. Laura, good Victorian daughter that she is, has promised her father on his deathbed that she will wed Lord Percival Glyde, even though she is in love with the impoverished artist, Walter Hartright.