I believe this song is about a relationship where the singer is desperate for a relationship, any kind, even if it doesn't have love. We asked Birdy how she interprets the lyrics — and it's something of a mystery to her too. The song was recorded with the band Bon Iver for the album “For Emma, Forever Ago”. The relationship is 'skinny' because they have yet to come out and explain their true feelings. And the other person wants the relationship to be more than that but is just as needy as he is and unable to end the relationship- in the end it's just a "skinny love" destined to end because it's starving for real affection from both of them. "Skinny Love" was the first single to be released from Bon Iver's debut album, For Emma, Forever Ago.Justin Vernon wrote and recorded the album in his father's isolated log cabin in north Wisconsin, where he had retreated to following the break up of a relationship and his former band, DeYarmond Edison, plus a bout of mononucleosis. Come on skinny love, just last the year Pour a little salt, we were never here My, my, my, my, my, my, my, my Staring at the sink of blood and crushed veneer. I tell my love to wreck it all Cut out all the ropes and let me fall My, my, my, my, my, my, my, my Right at the moment this order's tall. Both versions charted internationally and have been featured in multiple television and film soundtracks. First, I believe skinny love to just mean a relationship where the love has faded and the relationship is weak. There are two ways to define 'Skinny Love', but both talk about romantic relationships. "Skinny Love" is a song written by American musician and songwriter Justin Vernon. But I believe the proper term should be “anorexic love”, because he is trying to inject all the love he can into the relationship, but it seems as if she keeps rejecting it, and letting the love … Heres my interpretation of the song, "Come on skinny love just last the year" Referring to the state the girl was in, she was probably becoming increasingly thin, he was noticing and was wondering if she was gonna even last a year in her condition, He was pleading with her to just hold on a little longer and maybe she can get over her condition. "When I'm singing it, I'm not really sure of the actual meaning of the song," she admits. Skinny Love Lyrics: Come on, skinny love, just last the year / Pour a little salt, we were never here / My my my, my my my, my my / Staring at the sink of blood and crushed veneer / I tell my love to The first is used to describe a type of relationship between two people that are very in love with each other, or are crushing big time on the other; but are far to embarrassed to express their feelings. The first definition can be used to describe a relationship between two people who are unable to express their feelings for each other. Is it about a real-life skinny lover? Fans speculate widely about the meaning of 'Skinny Love' — is it about a relationship petering out? It was originally released by the indie folk band Bon Iver, of which Vernon is a member, in 2007.A cover version by the British vocalist Birdy was released in 2011. The term skinny love is a term used to describe a relationship, and has multiple definitions. This song was written by Justin Vernon.