There are some remnants of Lauryn Hill and D’Angelo’s “Nothing Even Matters” in here, some Musiq Soulchild “Sunny” in here, and most importantly, there is some vintage Brandy in here. Through his music, he gives his female listeners what they might not be used to getting from the men in their everyday lives: vulnerability, attention, and truth about why men sometimes can’t get it together in relationships. As fans await his planned third album Serenity, surprise single “Blame” is a look into Bryson Tiller’s regrets in love and loss. Though Tiller experienced depression during the recording of his 2017 sophomore effort True to Self, the album hit No. From her seventh studio album, Worthy, the lead single became the singer-songwriter's first No. 5 on Billboard’s Top R&B Albums chart—indicating that SiR is becoming an R&B frontrunner bound to take over the meaning of soul music. Since I started Rock and Blues Muse in December of 2016, I’ve discovered so much outstanding music (blues, blues-rock, rock music, Southern rock, roots music, and southern soul) and it keeps coming. “No one sings anymore. 04 Dec 2019 . 1 on Billboard's Adult R&B Song chart. We love to see it. co-hosting a Beats 1 Valentine’s Day special this year alongside R&B darling H.E.R. The song samples “Can U Handle It,” a duet featuring actress Paula Patton that appeared on Usher’s 2004 Confessions album. “Turn a boy into a good man/ Make a queen feel like a princess/ One kiss at the perfect moment/ Bruises start to heal." The Best of Soul and Motown. - N.C. She has a knack for delicate balladry and "I Want You Around" is a smooth and honeyed listen. “I'm definitely not the first guy that ever felt like that, but as artists, it's our job to be the first to say it." - I.R. According to Forbes, 2019 was already labeled “20BiTeen” when “Nights Like This” was released, which “[hinted] to a year of important bisexual representation in music.” Toting the line of the collab being two sides of a love song, having a heterosexual-identifying male (with a bisexual girlfriend) on the hook makes the song well-rounded, as far as inclusion is concerned. 1 on the Adult R&B Songs chart. The lead single arguably became Daye’s signature, with lush visuals accompanied featuring an afrocentric leading lady in the seclusion of their private garden. Sy Smith - I Can't Help ItBrand New Heavies - GetawayBrandon Williams feat. As far as new releases go, BJ The Chicago Kid continues to knock it out of the park. - S.O. Simply put, they did what they had to do! Today’s R&B landscape keeps getting criticized for being more about vibes than vocal prowess, but BJ continuously delivers us the best of both worlds. The results were a great selection of essential songs for Soul Music lovers. One time for holding your own. "These decisions ain't easy/ Believe me, I know it's hard to read me/ And I know with these girls I'm getting greedy/ 'Cause I can't find one that knows how to treat a man/ I'm just really tryna understand/ Who really tryna know who I am/ 'Cause right now, I can't even trust my friends. But the EARTHGANG and Tiana Major9 song "Collide" serves as a beautiful diversion from the madness. Snoh Aalegra's sophomore album, --Ugh, those feels again, is an adventurous exploration of luscious soundscapes and tempestuous vocals. The warped cry out “I need you, more than ever” reveals that the devil symbol through text message is not only one for naughty feelings. The video is a narrative storyline that, for the first time, gives us a glimpse of Gabi Wilson: the young woman behind H.E.R.’s sunglasses. Featured guitarist Rob Bacon’s Ernie Isley-esque bassline and Ray’s mellow vocals inspire a little head nod and two-step groove; it sounds on the surface like love—or lust—is the calling, the “burden” Saadiq is lamenting just won’t let go. At only 28 years old, the Dreamville signee sings with the same kind of depth, passion, and conviction as Erykah Badu, Jill Scott and any of the neo-soul greats. Where the Texas native shines, is adding a fresh flair to nods from the past, making him irresistible to the masses. The nice and slow vibe hits a contrast with Lanez and Brown's rapid wordplay but the focus remains clear: the moment to engage in maximum pleasure is now. BJ The Chicago Kid immediately captures us with his deeply soulful entrance, passionate and groovy as ever. Sampling the timeless Bad Boy Records anthem, “What You Want” by Ma$e feat. Like the song’s ending lyrics, her assured demeanor combined with the loungey instrumental of “MAYBE” is all balanced out by “chemistry.” Justine Skye has always known what she wanted when it comes to her artistry. Throughout the song, the German-born crooner tells his lady that she deserves better than the guy she’s with. “How You Want It?” follows this nostalgic ‘90s trend that many artists have been referencing this year. 1 on the Billboard Adult R&B Songs chart in November, a position Caesar has occupied with previous singles “Get You” and “Best Part,” but a first for Brandy, making it a promising launch point for her return. You get enveloped in it. We’re on the journey with him as the track unfolds in its own divine time...getting sexier by the moment. 2018 was definitely the year where R&B declared its status as "alive and well," in a time where hip-hop made its dominating and profitable presence known. But My, My, My (no pun intended), it's good to feel the cool, rich, homegrown feels of the ‘90s again. Kehlani’s 2019 While We Wait mixtape was a beautiful surprise with features ranging from 6LACK, Dom Kennedy and iconic soulful crooner, Musiq Soulchild. with a lyrical inspiration borrowed from The Charmels’ “As Long As I Got You.” Her raspy lyrics are reminiscent of ‘90s Lauryn Hill, and the way she maintains the delicacy of the subject over such a hard-hitting beat is astounding. And so we've gathered our music critics to each pick their favorites, which we've assembled below in our list of the 70 Best Soul Songs of 2019. The Toronto native interpreted recognizable songs from Jagged Edge to Mya to 112, but one that seemed like a long time coming on the collaboration end is Lanez's "The Take" featuring Chris Brown. - Mya Abe. The queen of soulful melisma and arresting melodrama opts for a more intimate approach for "Enough." According to the New Orleans native, he jumped on the opportunity to work with the songstress and when she first heard the demo, JoJo admitted, hip-hop made its dominating and profitable presence. The song’s remix, which dropped in November, features 21 Savage, and who better to bring aboard? Below are our staff's 100 favorite songs of 2019 -- a mix of cultural events, personal favorites and everything else that tattooed itself inside our brains in the last 12 months. Vibe.com is an affiliate site of Billboard, a subsidiary of Prometheus Global Media, LLC. - J.G. - Stephanie Smith-Strickland, This year, I made more than a little time for BJ The Chicago Kid’s “Time Today.” Like collard greens simmering on the stove all day, or wine that’s been aged to perfection, this song doesn’t rush the process. 1 on the Billboard Hot 200 chart, tagging the Louisville singer to join DJ Khaled and Rihanna on Grammy-nominated smash “Wild Thoughts.” Despite “Wild Thoughts” being song of the previous summer, “Blame” positioned Tiller into drowning his sorrows and transforming into “Pen Griffey” through relentless bars: “I know things is different, your name is different/And as strange as it is, I'm okay with this/And I can't say it different, never even met him/Can't hate the ni**a, although I hate the feelin'.”, Like unexpected, bass-thumping single “Honey” in 2017, “Blame” makes fans hopeful for Tiller’s return. In 2018 and 2019, artists found a way to channel the best parts of ‘90s R&B without making music that feels dated, and this song is a masterful example.