We use can and can't to talk about someone's skill or general abilities: She can speak several languages. ICP#: 10044692, LearnEnglish Subscription: self-access courses, English Online: 100% online teacher-led course, EnglishScore Tutors: personal online English tutors, Delexical verbs: 'have', 'take', 'make', 'give', 'go' and 'do'. aux.v. = In those days, all the people had the ability to build houses. past simple of "can", used to talk about what someone or something was able or allowed to do: When I was younger I could stay up all night and not get tired. Can't: Something that is forbidden or not allowed, 6. Can't: when you are sure that something isn't true or something is surprising, For more examples, including how to make questions, see our grammar notes It is correct to use 'must have' for deductions. "Can" and "Could" are tricky because you can use them for a few different purposes, and the rules are different for each version. could is more formal and polite than can: Could I ask a question please?Could we go home now? To express a possibility (in general). could synonyms, could pronunciation, could translation, English dictionary definition of could. To express ability in the past 1. (I can speak Spanish. Can is used to ask for / request permission or to give permission. ): • We can see the lake from our bedroom window. We sometimes say cannot, but it is very emphatic. They couldn't dance very well. —used to show that one thinks that someone has done or said something shocking or wrong… Polite word used to ask for permission or to request something (in the present) 1. They could have arrived by now. It refers to past time only when the context makes the time clear. © British Council You might say this, for example, when you see some animals you're unfamiliar with (e.g. 4. (= People often get lost in this town.). In 3, there is nothing grammatically wrong with saying 'can', but it's not really an appropriate response to the question. )You can easily get lost in this town. If, for example, you see those wild pigs and know for a fact that in some situations they are dangerous --perhaps your grandfather told you this -- and using 'can' would express this idea. Could is for a past ability (not present ability). If you found these English Grammar Rules about Can vs Could interesting or useful, let others know about it: A variety of English grammar notes and rules including charts and examples for beginner to advanced level students. 2. "Could" is also commonly used in conditional sentences as the conditional form of "can." The United Kingdom's international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We use can to say that something is possible or that somebody has the ability to do something. This success could not have been achieved without your cooperation. For this you would use may or might. It tests what you learned on the can, could, be able to page. Find more ways to say could, along with related words, antonyms and example phrases at Thesaurus.com, the world's most trusted free thesaurus. How can/could definition is - —used to show that one thinks that someone has done or said something shocking or wrong. Define could. (How about 'cannot have'), Kirk replied on 5 September, 2020 - 14:12 Spain. 3. (Might shows a lack of certainty. In 4, 'cannot have' is not correct because the sentence is speaking about an unreal past, i.e. We use can't or cannot to say that something is impossible: That can't be true. In 1 and 2, 'could' is also possible and I'd understand it to mean the same thing. We use could you … as a polite way of telling or asking someone to do something: Could you take a message, please?Could I have my bill, please? But since they are wild animals, there is the possibility that they are dangerous. Could taucht also im simple present und simple past auf. Can and Could. To ask questions: Examples: Extreme rain could cause the river to flood the city. )You could easily get lost in that town. ‘Can you meet me at 5?’ Is used to talk about ability. 'may be', 'might be' and 'could be' would all mean the same thing in this sentence: these animals are possibly dangerous, but I'm not sure. We sometimes say I can ... or I could ... to make an offer: I can do that for you if you like.I could give you a lift to the station. To ask for or give permission / To request something. Similarly, to your friend who got poor exam results, you should say 'You should have studied more' instead of 'You must have studied more'. We use could have to make guesses about the past: It's ten o'clock. Could you pass me the salt please? Could. (= People often got lost in that town.). Kirk replied on 11 September, 2020 - 14:46 Spain. There are many different topics and levels. However, there is a difference in their usage, as ‘can‘ is used in present situation, whereas we can use ‘could‘ for talking about a past ability.Both are followed by a base form of the verb. also want to see our Can - Can't - Cannot Note: Can't is used to refuse permission. Note that could doesn’t always refer to past time. Note: we don't use can to talk about future possibilities. Another word for could. (= It is sometimes very cold here in winter. He could read when he was three years old.2. I could ride a horse when I was younger but now I can't. smit replied on 10 September, 2020 - 08:22 India, Could is use for past ability and for possibility, how we can know in what meaning could is used for in sentence, Jonathan R replied on 10 September, 2020 - 10:30 United Kingdom. 7. Well, we could go fishing (How about 'can'), 4. How to use how can/could in a sentence. We look at be able to here because we sometimes use it instead of can and could. Although we look at be able to here, it is not a modal verb. Can, could or may ? Sometimes this is a form of criticism. How can/could definition is - —used to show that one thinks that someone has done or said something shocking or wrong. Past tense of can1 1. Write short answers (with pronouns) to the questions below. Can is used when you offer to help someone or to do something for them. Let me explain the difference and then show you examples to make it clear. He can swim like a fish. Could I please use your bathroom? 3. Used to indicate ability or permission in the past: I could … They can't have got lost! You can see more about this on our Modals – deductions about the past page. Thanks for your question regarding can vs could. That includes other things the speaker or writer says, and details about the situation (e.g. Yes, that's right! You can borrow my pen if you like. For Exapmle: I saw my friend's car in front of his home and I can say 'He mustn't gone work by his car'', Kirk replied on 15 September, 2020 - 08:20 Spain. It was so noisy that we … when she was little) to show that could means 'past ability' here, and not 'possibility'. In the past, "could" is actually a little tricky. Auch im present perfect kommt es vor. Dare, need, have to and used to also share some of the features of modal verbs. - Is it the same as These animals may be dangerous? We use can to make general statements about what is possible: It can be very cold here in winter. For example, one sentence above is: But, in real speaking or writing, it would have more context, for example: The context gives us clues (e.g. We use be able to: 1. to talk about ability Can means to be (physically) able to do something OR to know how to do something.